Community discussions

MikroTik App

tikker
Topic Author

Messing around with VLANs and CAPsMAN

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Hi, I have a RB5009 and a hAPac2. I've configured some VLANs and while it works as far as I understand for the wired ports (trunk/access), I have some issues with capsman.

I have provisioned the two radios of the hAPac2 and can configure them in Capsman on the RB5009.

I've setup two configurations and two datapaths. The datapaths use mode "use tag" with an appropriate VLAN ID.

I configure the radio master interface with SSID AAA and datapath for VLAN A. Then I configure a slave interface with SSID BBB and datapath for VLAN B.

I see boths WLANs AAA and BBB, and can connect to both. But I only get an IP address on the slave interface from the DHCP in VLAN B. If I change the config to BBB on the master and AAA on the slave, I get an IP in VLAN A but not in B. Whatever WLAN on the master interface, it only connects with a link-local address.

If I put both WLANs on slave interfaces and leave the master interface with an empty configuration I get an IP address on both. (And a WLAN with an empty SSID, which is not what I want)

What am I missing here?

PS: The RB5009 is already on ROS 7.1 while the hAP is still on 6.x - if this might be an issue?!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Messing around with VLANs and CAPsMAN

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:08 pm

"What am I missing here?"

That there is no need for capsman?
You could be skiing instead of fiddling with capsman?

tikker
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 pm

That there is no need for capsman?
You could be skiing instead of fiddling with capsman?
I'm sorry, what? How am I supposed to manage multiple APs centrally?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:21 pm

<OT explanation>
That's @anav, he gets passionate about things, in both positive and negative way. If he likes something (usually some cloud service), he recommends it everywhere. If he doesn't like something, he discourages everyone from using it. After his last quest against addresses sort of succeeded (don't worry, we're still allowed to use addresses), the new one seems to be quest against CAPsMAN. I'm sure it will pass too.
</OT explanation>

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:21 pm

You have ONE LOL.
Do you plan on buying more??
Why would you intentionally use MT wifi 5 ????

tikker
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:39 pm

I am currently trying to set-up VLANs. And now I attached my first AP. And once I understood how it works, I will add more, yes.

But I am curious to hear how to set it all up without Capsman with multiple APs.

And I'd still appreciate help on my original question.......

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 pm

There are many ways of getting things wrong. So post configs of both CAPsMAN and CAP devices and we'll check for errors.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:29 pm

My point being is I am trying to help you not WASTE your money.
Yes you will have mastered capsman after much head banging, do you want a cookie ??
However the people using your wifi will be pissed at you be it family/friends or customers for the crappy wifi.

SO yes its a great functionality if paired with a decent wifi experience otherwise its a waste of time.
I am practically minded, many others here are IT nerds that do not have to live with the consequences of their advice. ;-PPP
Use the time I am freeing up from Capsman servitude to research an actually useful wifi device for your needs.......

No charge advice, you can heed or put it in the circular phone, just sayin............

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:44 pm

as @mkx already said, unless we see your configuration we can only guess...
Other than that, @anav Capsman is really great :D :D

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:53 am

as @mkx already said, unless we see your configuration we can only guess...
Other than that, @anav Capsman is really great :D :D
Caps-man... Absolutely awesome in concept. In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!

Got carried away there.

But ANAV is right about the complaints. Until Mikrotik can get wifi down... An incredibly powerful and elegant control system... Doesn't really matter.

Or as my cohorts say when they watch me grind my teeth over Mikrotik wireless problems on our jobs...
(Looking at caps-man over my shoulder)

###
"Holy S--t. Can that control a good radio?"

Sadly the wifi wave 2 drivers I used on the Audience that made it work so much better... Are not compatible with this.

"Well what about our other WAPs?"

Nope it's Mikrotik access point control only.
(It wasn't a completely unreasonable question. We do have things that bring together control or configurations of multiple manufactures.)
###

We moved back to using Ruckus for our wireless exclusively. And the bleeding stopped.

We keep bringing in other manufactures to make sure we are staying on top of things... But I stare over at my stack of cap ACs... It's they have been reduced to "this is why you have to Test devices that only have 2.4 radios in busy environments."

But back to how too.

Put the IPs and DHCP severs on VLANs on the bridge. Use the tag on the SSID.

That's usually all you need to connect those things.
Well using local-forwarding and client to client forwarding.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Well management and performance are different things to me...

Capsman is great when you need a central management of your APs... The performance of the APs is something else...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:37 pm

Well management and performance are different things to me...

Capsman is great when you need a central management of your APs... The performance of the APs is something else...
Great management + lousy performance = fail (unhappy users, rested admin) = fail
Tedious management + good performance = pass (happy users, tired admin) = partial success
Great management + good performance = success (happy users, rested admin) = success

In other words its not about the admin.............