Community discussions

MikroTik App

newyork10023
just joined
Topic Author

KeepassXC unable to detect login fields

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:51 am

I use the password manager KeepassXC (on macOS Mojave). Due to the way the SwitchOS login works (and how is that so I can report to KeepassXC), KeepassXC is unable to recognize the login fields. Does anyone have any suggestions? This works fine when logging into RouterOS, which displays a webpage with entries for username and password. The suggestion to use RouterOS instead of SwitchOS is not a suggestion I want to hear (with respect to this issue).
Last edited by newyork10023 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: KeepassXC unable to detect login fields

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:03 am

I assume the problem is the popup screen for the login credentials?
Lots of systems use a popup for logging in. Do none of them work with KeepassXC?
I use a password manager, but intentionally do not use the automatic fill in the fields function. At least the PW manager I use has a copy button for any of the fields, so just copy and then paste the PW into whatever I'm logging into.

newyork10023
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:17 pm

@k6ccc Jim,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, it is the way the pop-up screen works (which I don't fully understand). I don't have any other websites that work exactly this way, so I can't answer whether KeepassXC responds similarly. I have seen one site where the entry box isn't "open" until you click in the box, and this stumps KeepassXC. RouterOS doesn't work similarly: there is a webpage with fields to be filled in. KeepassXC handles this like a charm.

As regards "automatic signin". I don't use that feature per se. I must manually click an icon that shows on the webpage normally, and KeepassXC will fill-in the credentials. The credentials that will be filled (on click) can be verified. They must be acknowledged beforehand as appropriate for the URL (and this option can be saved). But, it doesn't auto-fill the credentials, this is an option in KeepassXC that I don't (and wouldn't) use. Yes, I can (and now must) copy and paste the credentials from KeepassXC. However, the convenience (tempered with the manual clicking on the icon) is preferred. And, so, yes, I agree, I wouldn't trust any password manager to auto-fill credentials.
I assume the problem is the popup screen for the login credentials?
Lots of systems use a popup for logging in. Do none of them work with KeepassXC?
I use a password manager, but intentionally do not use the automatic fill in the fields function. At least the PW manager I use has a copy button for any of the fields, so just copy and then paste the PW into whatever I'm logging into.

newyork10023
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:58 pm

I found the KeepassXC setting: "Automatically fill in HTTP Basic Auth dialogs and submit them. If credentials are found for a page and the login-type is an HTTP Basic Auth request, KeePassXC-Browser tries to login automatically with the first given credentials. When multiple credentials are present, the extension popup can be used to choose the correct one. Even when this feature is enabled, it is still possible to enter HTTP Basic Auth login manually." However, the "auto-fill" requires approval to send the credentials each time (possibly due to other settings).