Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

mikro-router product request

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:34 pm

I've wanted this for a long time, time to verbalize.

I want a mikro-router (MR), a high performance but low port count PoE pass through router in an 'in line' form factor for outdoor mounting. Entire case/body is heatsink, just 3 ports facing down with cable glands. 1 SFP+ port and 2 multi-speed copper port 1/2.5/x/x the higher the better here. One of those fancy new ARM CPU that can route like a 5009. Ultra-compact design is the goal here. mounting holes and pipe clamp mounts built into the housing/heat-sink.

Some example deployment models:
(A)
Radio independent customer DMARC router. Indoor PoE feeds the mikro-router power and that passes through to radio. Allows SFP+ and copper port to feed separate radios for redundant services handled by the MR as well.

(B)
pop site router-on-a-stick. Most PoE switches we like aren't great routers. Even the NP16 which I love leaves a lot to be desired on the routing side. 10G feed from NP16 to MR gives a legit 5Gbps platform, or also have a 2.5/5/10G copper port fed in to the MK as well.

(C)
ultra-high performance GPEN outdoor dmarc. Customers generally need a single network port.

(D)
Soho bridge device. Bring zerotier or wireguard tunnels into a network with a hardened and easy to mount in utility closet device.

There are E through Z applications for this. Put in a bit of flash memory and you might see a device like this supplant raspberry pis for a lot of people because of docker containers.

In a nutshell, a 3 port 5009 in an outdoor enclosure with PoE in/out on the copper ports.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: mikro-router product request

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm

An 3-port high performance router seems a very strange combination.