MikroTik App

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IPv6 mangle - set priority

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi,

is there any way to set priority for IPv6 packets?

ipv6/firewall/mangle - there is not action "set priority" -bug?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 mangle - set priority

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 pm

set priority does not do much anyway...
you can mark packets and handle them differently in a queue tree, that works OK.

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 am

Don't be silly :-)

MikroTik NV2 wireless protocol has QoS already fully integrated (IEEE 802.1D-2004)

you can set priority for wireless traffic, and there is only IPv4 support, but none for IPv6 traffic, what is pity.

you can educate yourself here, for example.... https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US13/lutz.pdf

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:18 am

Ok for NV2 yes, that is about the only exception.
We never use that, on links we normally use Ubiquiti products and they don't need that complicated config
as they directly derive the priority from the DSCP field in the IP header. So we make sure the DSCP is correct
(possibly by mangle on the ingress) and don't have to worry about it anywhere in the network :-)

But indeed, in that case a set priority could be useful for you.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 am

Yes, in all other cases.
E.g. when you have connected a router between an ISP modem and your local network using ethernet ports.
In that case setting the priority will do absolutely nothing.
(people may think it can be used to give priority to certain traffic, but it really does not work that way)

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 pm

I like this guys too much!

they say, that something is useless... If you don't use something, it is not meaning, that it is useless..

in old world, we used call them Lamer :-)

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am

Set priority is not only useful for NV2:

- It is used to apply MPLS experimental bits for MPLS QoS
- It is used to apply VLAN priority for other vendor wireless systems that use VLAN priority for QoS
- Set priority from DSCP high order bits option allows you to handle all 64 DSCP values in QoS with 9 mangle rules instead of 64

It is past time that IPv6 mangle had 'set priority' - please add this feature MikroTik!

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

- It is used to apply VLAN priority for other vendor wireless systems that use VLAN priority for QoS
- Set priority from DSCP high order bits option allows you to handle all 64 DSCP values in QoS with 9 mangle rules instead of 64

It is past time that IPv6 mangle had 'set priority' - please add this feature MikroTik!

+1000 YES, we want it back too

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Yeah I came across a case today where using the Torch utility on an IPv4 only network I saw a Mac sending Airplay video to an AppleTV using DSCP value 32 on an fe80: address. Sure, I'll just use the IPv6 mangle action set-priority from-top-3-DSCP bits to allow WMM to prefer these packets for transmission....

No such luck.

So add another dot point in above for priority being used for WMM, not just NV2.

I am sure it's just a handful of lines to add to the IPv6 code and can be easily added to 6.41. Right? RIGHT?

Kentzo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:22 pm

Whomever ends up here: this is still the case in both latest v6 and v7. I have contacted support about this and, apparently, they don't have enough user requests to implement this feature.

So, if you care, please create a ticket at https://help.mikrotik.com/servicedesk/servicedesk

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 pm

It is still the same old story "IPv6 has no priority, no customer is ever asking for this".
That was the answer I got in that 2017 timeframe, it is still the answer they give today.

In v7 the IPv6 support is slowly being improved, we can only hope that this feature gets implemented there.
But first v7 has to be on-par with v6 w.r.t. existing features, so people can move over and they no longer have to maintain two versions.

Kentzo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 am

I agree.

My note is about that woes on the forum carry much less value than an "official" ticket. I encourage everyone to re-file the feature request. Referring my ticket (SUP-72267) may help their support to group the requests.