Community discussions

MikroTik App

SalinaJames
just joined
Topic Author

Wired-AP (HWMPplus)

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 am

Hi
I need to cover my all floors. Instead of running multiple APs on the same SSID, which causes session disconnection when roaming to a new IP, I'd like to setup a "mesh"-type system(I know this isn't really the right term) in order to provide the clients with the ability to hand-off connections seamlessly when roaming to the next AP and not interrupt existing TCP sessions/etc.
I've been looking at the best way to do this over time, and it seems like with Microtik it's possible to use WDS for this, but in my particular case, I have access to wired-backhaul, so a wireless mesh seems silly.
Based my research so far/Amazon browsing, my intention is to buy a Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 and 2x MikroTik cAP ac to get started; with the possibility of swapping the RB750Gr3 for an hAP ac² later on.

Intended network topography:

Cable Modem
||
RB750Gr3
||
Netgear unmanaged 16 port switch
||
Wired devices & 2x cAP ac

I hope someone is able to give me a bit of reassurance that this setup will actually work as I'm intending or if this is more trouble than it's worth & I should forget this plan and look more into a Ubituiqi-based solution.
Last edited by rextended on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed added spam links later...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wired-AP (HWMPplus)

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:12 am

Post in the wireless forum with as much detail as possible.
My sense is that your approach is not favoured.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wired-AP (HWMPplus)

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Don't see any problem in this setup.
I'm doing much more complex things.
Klembord-2.jpg
Characteristics of this setup:
- 4 network like the above in total , each network uses one IP subnet (4 DHCP servers for 4 networks on main router), large 1 km2 area
- common central router to load-balanced internet access, common RADIUS server
- network is one L2 broadcast domain, PtMP links are "AP bridge - Station bridge" links, all interfaces are port to bridge
- one SSID name for all client access in one network, common name for 2.4 and 5 GHz (ssid A,B,C,D exists in total)
- MT does not support fast roaming (connect before disconnect), but IP address and sessions remain open while roaming within same SSID
- no CAPsMAN used
- clients authenticate via EAP/PEAP/MsCHAPv2 RADIUS, WPA2/Enterprise
- roaming triggers RADIUS authentication, but not DHCP renewal, no new NAT sessions in the main router, no new TCP sessions
- excessive broadcasts (Apple Bonjour, Windows NBT, etc etc) mitigated with "same horizon" in bridges.
- roaming between A,B,C and D networks (different SSID!) is new IP, and of course new NAT sessions, new TCP sessions
- all bridges and switches set as "dump" devices, no VLAN filtering. However VLAN is used, for some AP to allow them to serve multiple networks.
- 200+ client devices, works very well. Roaming still is a short 1-2 sec interruption/delay of traffic. (no 802.11k/r/v in MT)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.