Bridge and dhcp

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Guys i need ur help
I have three interface
2 Lan
1 wan
Everything work fine but i need to use bridge
As conbine both 2 Lan as one switch and one dhcp
When activate bridge , my dhcp not working on both lans how can i fix that so both lan take same range
My lan is 12.12.12.0/24
Lan1 12.12.12.1
So i put all manual ip address right now?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridge and dhcp  [SOLVED]

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm

There should be only one DHCP server, and that DHCP server should be on the bridge. Bridge has also the IP address 12.12.12.1 ( IP address not on Lan1 !)
LAN interfaces connected to bridge (ports). They have no IP address, no DHCP client or no DHCP server,
Bridge in the "LAN interface list" if the default firewall is used. (The Lan1 and Lan2 membership of "interface lists" does not matter)

akram
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Bridge and dhcp

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:27 am

There should be only one DHCP server, and that DHCP server should be on the bridge. The bridge has also the IP address 12.12.12.1 ( IP address not on Lan1 !)
LAN interfaces connected to bridge (ports). They have no IP address, no DHCP client or no DHCP server,
Bridge in the "LAN interface list" if the default firewall is used. (The Lan1 and Lan2 membership of "interface lists" does not matter)
now I understand the concept of the bridge, so I have to make the bridge IP address is 12.12.12.1 instead of the LAN1 , and DHCP must be on Bridge instead of LAN1,so it will work fine.

Thanks, I'll test it tonight when I go home,then post the final answer to you my friend

akram
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:55 pm

thanks
i found that i was making all Interface on Bridge1 only I didn't realise that
and I put Ip address for the Bridge2 that I created for the two LANs and removed the ipaddress from LAN1
and make my dhcp on Briidge2 and Disable Brigde1
everything is now work perfect.

i accept your answer as u show the way

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 pm

The bridge is one useful method of creating your single subnet to be available on all ports and simplifies making firewall rules etc.

Other options include
- giving each port its own subnet, ip address, pool etc....
- use vlans where one or more vlans can travel on any port (bridge identifies the ports involved but doesnt have to do anything else)