Community discussions

MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

CHR + EVE-NG Basics

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:01 pm

Good day, I have fired up VM16 and EVE-NG with very few issues following youtube tutorials.
I have imported the Mikrotik Raw Image and can use that for as many routers and of course as switches as I need.
However I need help progressing some basic functionality.

Required Info:
- system is running on a laptop connected, via ethernet cable, to a subnet provided by my rb450Gx4 router which is behind the main router (ccr1009).

1. How to to connect my R1 on the http:// gui emulation of the topology as if it were connecting to the internet ( or in clearer terms, connected to the RB450G as if the RB450G was the ISP providing a private IP).?
2. I am still not sure what the significance or where I got the IP address for the VM instance the typical 192.168.111.xxx address. What is it used for, other than for me to access the eve-ng??
3. Explain the use of cloud on the topology?
4. How to access Winbox (gui) not console on any of the MT devices I put on the topology?
5. The VCS workstation one can add from defaults, what can I use those for??

If one is aware of a particularly useful video on the above, let me know!
I am open to skype sessions if someone has some time to run through some things that are better explained over chat/video etc.....

Edit: Found these two very helpful to start to answer the above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-CBwL89nU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dPWARirtK8&t=7s

TheNetworkBerg
just joined

Re: CHR + EVE-NG Basics

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:17 pm

I wasn't expecting to see my videos being linked, though it's nice to see that you found them helpful.

1. How to to connect my R1 on the http:// gui emulation of the topology as if it were connecting to the internet ( or in clearer terms, connected to the RB450G as if the RB450G was the ISP providing a private IP).?

If I understand you correctly you would like your Emulated router to be able to use your actual physical RB450G as its default gateway. This can be a bit tricky to new users to configure since it involves adding private Cloud networks on EVE-NG and bridging those networks on VMWARE with your actual NIC so that the EVE devices can connect using the real LAN IP. To be honest I find it easier to just create a Management Cloud network and connect that to a Router as this allows you access to your virtual MikroTik from your real machine and you can really just act as if that was the Public internet. Then configure other CHRs further downstream however you want to with whatever private addressing.

2. I am still not sure what the significance or where I got the IP address for the VM instance the typical 192.168.111.xxx address. What is it used for, other than for me to access the eve-ng??

This is just a random IP that VMWARE assigned to your VMnet adapter. In essence it is what allows your machine to interface with EVE-NG. You could set this IP if you wanted to as well, though I'd suggest just leaving it on whatever you received. All devices you connect on a Management Cloud in EVE-NG will be able to obtain IPs via DHCP and breakout to the internet through this range.

3. Explain the use of cloud on the topology?

Cloud interfaces allow you to set specific IPs for NICs in EVE, though the most common and easiest Cloud Network to use is the management network which is really just an extension of you virtual NIC.

4. How to access Winbox (gui) not console on any of the MT devices I put on the topology?

I answered this above, if you connect a MikroTik to the management cloud you will be able to pick it up in Winbox via neighbors and connect to it.

5. The VCS workstation one can add from defaults, what can I use those for??

These are very dumb and small linux machines, they are great to use to test stuff like if ICMP (pings) work, what happens to traffic if you traceroute or even test stuff like DHCP or DNS. So basically you could add a PC to a MikroTik and act as if it was a normal user machine and seeing what stuff works on a terminal level from it.

I hope this gives you some insight/help. Here's a playlist on EVE as well that I created last year August that may be able to help you more with some demonstrations:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ7S ... DM71dz97XS

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 pm

Thanks Sir,
I will try to mess around with management cloud to see if I can get it to do what you state.

As you know I want to be able to.
connect R1 to the same vlan as my laptop but get a different IP address (thus far no joy).
connect R1 to the laptop for winbox purposes - thus far I fire up winbox and it does not see R1 at all.

Other facts.
When I setup Eve I setup two adapters, one NAT and one HOST not sure what the purpose or use of those is at this point.
Yes I type in 192.168.111.xxx to access the topology/lab and such.

I also read Section 9 in the community cook book and that was not enlightening in the least.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:57 am

I went through all your videos including the live stream series and didnt find the information on clouds (including the basic eve-ng lab one).
Finally found the missing link.........
Ahmed Ali has an excellent series on EVE-NG (first 3 lectures avail on youtube). Listed on his course material is Lesson 9, and a preview of the lesson is provided.
He clearly lays out how to use Management Cloud, and clouds 1-9, IAW the adapters set.
GOLDEN!! I now how ROMON working and everything else required.

I also viewed some videos from Data Knox which move much to fast for me but he has some gems and tidbits he throws in.......

elico
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:07 am

Can you share the relevant YouTube links?