Community discussions

MikroTik App

pncv8785
just joined
Topic Author

Help! New CRS309-1G-8S Issue

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:01 am

I just bought a CRS309-1G-8S, which are surprisingly hard to find right now, and it had been working correctly. When I got it, I was able to see the voltages and temperatures for each individual SFP+. After I upgraded the OS, the temperature and voltages disappeared. I tried doing a hard reboot and that didn't work, I tried doing a factory reset and that didn't work, and I tried reverting the OS but the revert didn't take. Any ideas? I run SwOS because I don't really need any advanced features since the switch is for my home lab, and out of the box the switch was on version 2.7 and it is now on version 2.13. Also, as you can see from the attached image, it's reporting the wrong info for SFPs, they're 10GBase-T. Any help would be greatly appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lawe
just joined

Re: Help! New CRS309-1G-8S Issue

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:46 pm

Well, that's a typical case of Transceiver vendor issue. Many Transceiver vendors don't care about correct reporting in 10GBase-T modules. Many vendors even don't bother about DDM temperature reporting although especially 10GBase-T modules tend to become very hot. 90°C+ in a passively cooled switch like the CRS309-1G-8S+IN can be quite common when no extra cooling has been set up.
Rule of thumb: 30m 10GBase-T modules become hotter than 80m 10GBase-T modules. Unfortunately the latter modules do not support NBase-T.

Below you can see four different 10GBase-T modules (the remaining ones are 1GBase-T) I am using in my main switch at home and how good their vendors have prepared them:

pncv8785
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Thanks! I actually set up some active cooling for my CRS309-1G-8S+IN since I read the 10GBase-T SFPs can get extremely hot. That's actually why I wanted to fix the temperature reporting issue, so that I can see if the active cooling solution is making a difference or not.

lawe
just joined

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:41 pm

The CRS309-1G-8S+IN is quite small. You should see from its internal temperature sensor if one or more transceivers are running too hot. Ideally the switch should not exceed 60°C temperature during operation. But using it solely with 10GBase-T modules might be challenging :)