Community discussions

MikroTik App

altendorfme
just joined
Topic Author

Migrating to Mikrotik (Help)

Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:45 am

I have an EdgeRouter-X and a UAP-AC-LITE, it's been a few months since I've been struggling with a problem with the PoE of the ER-X, it randomly disconnects the AC and the only solution was to separately connect the ER-X and the UAP each one with a power source. They are expensive equipment just for a home network to give such a problem.
I've never used Mikrotik products, I saw several videos about it and I'm seriously thinking about migrating to Mikrotik.

The Mikrotik Hex S seems to be the best experience, I would connect with the power source and take advantage of PoE to turn on the AP.
I imagine that the UAP-AC-LITE will not have problems with Mikrotik, but would be willing to exchange it for another solution from Mikrotik itself, what do you recommend?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Migrating to Mikrotik (Help)

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Actually, some of MT POE output is proprietary or at least doesnt meet some of the standards used.
My advice is to play close attention to the product literature to ensure you are certain it will work.

PoE-out
Details
PoE-out ports Ether5
PoE out Passive PoE up to 57V
Max out per port output (input 18-30 V) 500 mA
Max out per port output (input 30-57 V) 500 mA
Max total out (A) 500 mA

Notice in the output spec THEY DO NOT PUBLISH A STANDARD!
Unless your products expecting power state specifically they accept passive poe whatever that is, I would not rely on the hexs for poe.

Compare that to the POE in described that can run the hexS.
PoE in 802.3af/at
PoE in input Voltage 12-57 V

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:29 pm

The EdgeRouter X is passive PoE only as well.

The hEX PoE does 802.3af/at if you add an aftermarket 48V PSU such as Mikrotik's own 48POW or the PoE Texas PS-48v60w.

altendorfme
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:28 pm

What would be the recommendation of Mikrotik products to ERX and UAP?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Migrating to Mikrotik (Help)  [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:32 pm

I'd say your original choice of the hEX S is a fine match to the ER-X, from use of both, but it has your same complaint, being passive PoE only, which is why I recommended the hEX PoE instead. If you study their differences, you'll find that the PoE model isn't a pure upgrade from the hEX S:

• 92-rule table in the hEX PoE but not in the hEX S
  • microSD storage slot on the hEX S, none on the PoE models
  • 2-4× CPU power on the hEX S, useful if you aren't using it mainly as a smart switch
  • better PoE support on the hEX PoE. 4 ports of output versus one, more current output per port, and 802.3af/at versus passive PoE.

If you need active PoE or multiple PoE outputs, there's your choice made.

As for the WiFi bit, I know nothing of MT's wireless solutions. However, why would you need to replace both? As I understand it, the source of your problem is the power source. Keep the Ubiquiti WiFi gear if it's working for you.
Last edited by tangent on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

altendorfme
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 pm

I only need one PoE port for the AP, that's why I thought Hex S, it's a complete and robust solution to know Mikrotik solutions and would totally replace ER-X.

Changing the AP would be just out of curiosity for equipment from other brands, I even saw a TP-Link EAP255 that is more powerful and has the same price as the UAP Lite.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:26 pm

I only need one PoE port for the AP, that's why I thought Hex S, it's a complete and robust solution to know Mikrotik solutions and would totally replace ER-X.

Changing the AP would be just out of curiosity for equipment from other brands, I even saw a TP-Link EAP255 that is more powerful and has the same price as the UAP Lite.
I have been using the TPLINK EAP245v3 for many years, very good wifi 5 and it reads vlans.

altendorfme
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:23 pm

Thank you all. :)

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:04 am

The PoE-Out section of the docs may be of use.