Community discussions

MikroTik App

fibernet74
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware to run Dude Server

Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:38 pm

My 1100AHx4 Dude Edition has failed (NAND failure). I am looking to purchase a TBD and install The Dude server on it. I have seen the MikroTik Cloud Core Router CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ recommended in other posts in this forum. Can someone please help me to answer some questions -

1. Is the MikroTik Cloud Core Router CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ a good choice for hosting The Dude server on our network?
2. Do I need to downgrade RouterOS to v6.48.x to run The Dude Server on this device?
3. Will the license that comes with the MikroTik Cloud Core Router CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ allow me to run The Dude server or do I need an additional or different license?
4. I will only be using this device to run The Dude server and would plan to configure it with all ports being. on a single LAN bridge. It would have a single connection to a VLAN trunk from the rest of my network. Are there any problems with setting up The Dude server to work in this simple configuration?

Thanks in advance for the help.

fibernet74
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hardware to run Dude Server

Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:56 pm

It looks like the microSD card would be used to store The Dude server and associated files. Is this correct? What is the maximum size MicroSD card that the MikroTik Cloud Core Router CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ can support?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm

You said nothing about the size of the network to monitor.

I just use hEX to run DUDE (3+ years now). DUDE is free to use, no license required.
- 98 devices monitored on 1 DUDE server, also all interfaces and their history data (DUDE database on 32GB SD card), no limits hit so far
- is also syslog server for all devices (on SD card)
- running Usermanager as secondary RADIUS accounting for wifi WPA2/Enterprise (on SD card)
- is NTP server for the network
- weekly database backup on permanent USB stick
- DUDE servers start a VPN to my home hAP Lite VPN server/concentrator for management access
- hEX has it's own algoritms for fail-over internet access (Internet needed for NTP reference, and VPN tunnels)
- hEX is not handling user traffic (except, by lack of a second connection on Starlink, it is bridging that connection, to be able to also use that internet connection)
- the hEX is member of the local LAN, but those interfaces are WAN ports in the hEX (NATted interface, WAN firewall rules except syslog, ntp, RADIUS accounting ports)

Version is ROS 6.46.8 as I keep all my 4 DUDE's on the same version (DUDE client doesn't like to connect to different versions)

eddieb

Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:05 pm

same here, running dude server on a dedicated hex (RB750G r3) for a couple of years now, no issues ..
monitoring about 100 devices, backups and syslog are directed to a remote syslog server on a syno

fibernet74
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:04 pm

Thanks, everyone for helping me. I would like a device that is rack-mountable and has an SPF interface to interface directly to out network core. Does anyone know if the MikroTik Cloud Core Router CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ would be an OK (albeit overkill) choice to run The Dude?

eddieb

Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:01 pm

The dude server package is availiable for the tile architecture, so it will work and you will have some overkill.
I especially use the hEX because of the micro SD card to store the dude database on.
I don't know if your 1009 has such an option.
Be aware that dude server is NOT yet availiable for ROS7