MikroTik App

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Redundant power inputs

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 am

Hi all,

Are there any plans to produce a RouterBOARD with redundant power inputs?

Alternatively, is there a strategy others are using for a power supply with built in redundancy.

Just had a RB fall over at a very unfortunate time in the night due to power supply failure.
Last edited by oeyre on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Defrance
just joined

Re: Redundant power inputs

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:02 am

according to me when RouterBoard power failure, i replace by an adapter with 24volts and 3.3A.
Its working properly and adapter has been installed inside the box to protect it against rain and so on 8)

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 am

In case anyone is interested, one of the guys here with some electronics skills made a dual input adapter using a diode.

I can post more details when we finish it.

outlawjhs
just joined

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

If you have enough space you can install an automatic transfer switch. This will allow single power input devices to have redundant power inputs without modifying any hardware. APC and other manufactures make them. They are about $700 and are manageable.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:32 am

If you have enough space you can install an automatic transfer switch. This will allow single power input devices to have redundant power inputs without modifying any hardware. APC and other manufactures make them. They are about $700 and are manageable.
Unfortunately that is beyond our budget for a CPE install.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 am

Unfortunately that is beyond our budget for a CPE install.
I leave the CPE site to the client. If his power goes down probably his PC too.
I advice them to install a CPU, that would protect both. His PC and the power adapter. But client has to budget for it. He also pays for new adapters if they go.
Service stops somewhere.. next we need to guarantee his PC always works! :(

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:06 am

Typically the ISP/NSP does not supply PCs :)

(but they do supply the service delivery hardware)

For ~$5 worth of knick knacks its worth avoiding a late night callout.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am

newest RouterBOARD models support both PoE and Jack powering at the same time. When one of them will fail, other will continue to power the device. If the voltages will be different, it will use the higher one, and will switch to the other one when that one is removed.

Basically redundant power.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Well, don't know. We suffer relative regular short power cuts in our area and the voltage can fluctuate 10-15% easy in the country side. I guess some 40% of all my adapter lost life because of this over the years. In the beginning we replaced them for free, because yeah, its our antenna that needs the power for the adapter supplied by us.
But this became so annoying and costly (some clients needed new adapter every two months!) we now charge them the costs after the first free replacement and we only come out during office hours to replace them.
We've had occasions that due a lightning strike on the electricity grid the power just dropped for a split second to come back in a spike to ruin several adapters of our clients at once!

We supply the service, but end user has to supply his own stable power. If not we can't bear the costs for that.
The $5 adapters are the ones to go first anyway so we decided to buy a little higher quality. So together with time spend I would say a call out to replace an adapter would cost me € 25,- each time, almost the monthly subscription fee!

Heavy duty (=heavy paying) clients might need a different approach, but for the ordinary household this is a reasonable approach I think.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

one of our MFM partners offers a nice solution for these needs:
http://www.restlesspowerbox.com/

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, don't know. We suffer relative regular short power cuts in our area and the voltage can fluctuate 10-15% easy in the country side. I guess some 40% of all my adapter lost life because of this over the years. In the beginning we replaced them for free, because yeah, its our antenna that needs the power for the adapter supplied by us.
But this became so annoying and costly (some clients needed new adapter every two months!) we now charge them the costs after the first free replacement and we only come out during office hours to replace them.
We've had occasions that due a lightning strike on the electricity grid the power just dropped for a split second to come back in a spike to ruin several adapters of our clients at once!

We supply the service, but end user has to supply his own stable power. If not we can't bear the costs for that.
The $5 adapters are the ones to go first anyway so we decided to buy a little higher quality. So together with time spend I would say a call out to replace an adapter would cost me € 25,- each time, almost the monthly subscription fee!

Heavy duty (=heavy paying) clients might need a different approach, but for the ordinary household this is a reasonable approach I think.
Thats what a UPS is for

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 pm

newest RouterBOARD models support both PoE and Jack powering at the same time. When one of them will fail, other will continue to power the device. If the voltages will be different, it will use the higher one, and will switch to the other one when that one is removed.

Basically redundant power.
This is interesting. Which boards?
Also, if POE would be 12V fm battery while we use a 18V adapter, can the rb than keep the battery charged? (Or the other way round, 18V POE with 12V fm battery on jack.) That would be a real neat feature! Than every CPE only need a small battery to have redundant power supply besides the normal adapter and it will survive small power cuts!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 pm

This is what I have been searching for quit some time! All I found is something like a factor 10 higher priced! Thanks for the link!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Thats what a UPS is for
And that's what the client can invest in if he wants to save the cost of the adapter replacement and his burned PC power supply.

Also, I myself spend some 2K on several UPS from several vendors over the last years to protect several of my own PC's and AP's. But in the end they also don't survive too many cuts and spikes. The electronic boards are just gone. Special the charge regulators fail.
Most reliable solution is battery power with a good charger. They work forever it seems. I got one station with 5 boards and 10 radios running on one big second hand 300AH-12V truck start battery with cheap Taiwan make battery charger for 5 years now and it still survives power cuts up to several hours.... costs: 100 bucks..... :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 pm

all models that don't have jumper selection for PoE/Non-PoE support this

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 am

Great untill the PoE pop's on the board :P
Which board's can handle dual input? All of the RB4xx series?

matrot2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi all,

Are there any plans to produce a RouterBOARD with redundant power inputs?

Alternatively, is there a strategy others are using for a power supply with built in redundancy.

Just had a RB fall over at a very unfortunate time in the night due to power supply failure.
UPS
http://tandem.ck.ua/ups_mt-eng.php
http://tandem.ck.ua/ups_mte.php