Community discussions

MikroTik App

vhs1240
just joined
Topic Author

Shared mesh between Virtual AP's / VLAN's ?

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:14 pm

I recently bought the Hap AC2 Router. I'm a student in ICT and bought it as some sort of study-object and get a better insight on what's going on under the hood of a router.

Now I'm running into a small problem.

I just did a complete reinstall with default configuration, and I connected my Mesh base station (which came with my ISP Router) to a port on the router. The base station shows up, I can log in to the admin menu, and create a SSID for the mesh. The mesh-network shows up in my wifi-list and I can easily connect to it, and everything works great.

So far so good...

Now what I'm trying to achieve is this:

I'd like to make 3 port-based VLAN's on the router (Main, IOT & Guest), and since my IOT devices are spread around the house (close to the 2nd Mesh station) I'd like to be able to have all 3 networks to be able to connect to the same Mesh..The reason why I'm using the Mesh is simply because the AC2 Wifi speed is seriously dissapointing (I have a 140Mbps connection and the wifi gives me about 40Mbps), whereas the Mesh maxes out at 140.

With my limited knowledge so far, I've been trying a few options, but so far I haven't been able to get some results.

Could somebody smarter than me please shed some light on whether or not this is possible, and if so, how I would go about in getting it to work?

So to recap: I'm running the default config, haven't made any special settings yet, connected mesh to port 5, and internet works when connected to it . I want 3 VLAN's (and 3 SSID's) and have the Mesh stations work as an access point for all 3 networks.

Some extra info: The AC2 is connected to my ISP router which is not (yet) running in bridge mode. Planning on doing so when I'm finished setting up the AC2 to take over all the work

Thank you!