Community discussions

MikroTik App

marekm
Topic Author

Higher end netpower product request

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Would it be possible to consider making a product that combines the best of netpower 15FR (runs RouterOS and has more ports) and netpower lite 7R (has gigabit RJ45 ports and 10Gb SFP+ ports)?
CRS320-2P-14R-4S+OUT - why not? :)
If possible, include 4 SFP+ ports and 2 PoE-out gigabit ports. Maybe make some gigabit and some 10/100 PoE-in ports (to customers) if there isn't enough space for all gigabit ports (2-pair vs 4-pair magnetics).
Accept 18-57V PoE-in and include a step-down converter to 24V for selectable high/low voltage mode on each of the PoE-out ports.
If input voltage is too low for the converter to work, support only the low voltage mode but use the "high" switch to bypass the converter (PoE-out voltage same as PoE-in).
This way 48V PoE power supplies can be used (important to reduce power loss in long cables) and it is still safe to power 24V devices.
Also, provide some way to power-cycle the device from one PoE-in port only (visit just one customer, not all of them simultaneously which is quite a challenge) - like detecting a timed sequence of power off/on events (that's how some Cambium ePMP radios can be reset to factory defaults - the sequence is long enough to be unlikely to happen by accident). And, a main power switch on the device itself (under the lid where the cables enter) to avoid need to disconnect all the cables to reboot when troubleshooting on the roof.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Higher end netpower product request

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:16 am

marekm
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:38 pm

This one is good, but for different uses - has many PoE-out ports, but no PoE-in ports.
I need Reverse PoE-in for "many single family houses in a row" ("zabudowa szeregowa" in Polish).
Sharing a common 60GHz radio (due to "max 8 stations per AP" limit) between several customers, future plan to run overhead fiber to the switch (possibly keeping the radio as backup).
Or can I apply power to PoE-out ports of netpower 16P and expect them to work as PoE-in?
I haven't tried yet on this product, but earlier products had diodes in series with PoE outputs, so nothing happened when power was applied to the ports.
If the diodes were connected differently, the same ports could be used as PoE-out or PoE-in.
In some UBNT outdoor switches this works as an undocumented feature (I guess they use MOSFET switches with built-in reverse diodes).
CRS112-8P lends itself well to reverse PoE hardware mod (PoE circuits on separate board, large test point pads where it is easy to solder the diodes), but no outdoor case.

marekm
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:06 pm

I can confirm that nothing happens when I try to power the CRS318-16P-2S+OUT by its ports, they are PoE-out only, not reverse PoE-in. So it probably has diodes in series too, like other devices with PoE-out.
With the large number of visible screws, I'm not sure how to disassemble the unit properly (and still keep it weatherproof sealed after it is assembled again) to see how hard would be to add reverse-PoE capability (diodes from each port transformer center tap, to the power input).

gabrieled209
just joined

Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:02 pm

Makosumba
just joined

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:59 pm

"You don’t have to worry about power
options in the attic or the utility room –
netPower 15FR has 15 reverse PoE ports.
Depending on your setup, netPower can
draw the necessary power even from a
single client! Ethernet port 15 can power
other PoE capable devices with the same
voltage as applied to the unit."
seeking clarification on this, we are setting up a reverse POE setup, We want to power device with POE from client Premise which will in turn power a radio receiver, but we do not want a single client to bare the load. Can we set it so that all connected POE injectors to share the load.