MikroTik App

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Wave2 - HAP Ac3 - opinions ?

Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:04 pm

Hello
I dont see on the forum opinions and test on wave2 7.1.1 on HAP AC3.
I use it on some of our routers (upgraded from latest long-term), and we have positive feedback from our users.

The new features:

WPA3 authentication and OWE (opportunistic wireless encryption)
802.11w standard management frame protection
MU-MIMO and beamforming
400Mb/s maximum data rate in the 2.4GHz band for IPQ4019 interfaces

If I enable WPA3, a lot of old devices stops working, I need to enable WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK to let them work. The other settings are default.
I have good speeds, better than 6.48.6, expecially on 5ghz.
Till now I am satisfied.
Any other feedbacks?

Hominidae

Re: Wave2 - HAP Ac3 - opinions ?

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 pm

...all my 2.4GHz Smart-plugs and older gear works flawlessly with WPA2 + WPA3 enabled.
What I am really pleased with is the Speed at 5GHz....at least double, compared to default wifi drivers.

I am still in need to fine-tune, running on default ATM....as the range is also greatly increased, I notice that client roaming is not as fast as with the normal drivers, as clients don't really see a need for handover, I think.

Lack of capsman sucks..also the feature to add a device from registration list to access list, but this is maybe a winbox flaw atm.

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:46 am

I've been using 5Ghz wave 2 on RB4011. started using an old hAP I had gathering dust as my 2.4Ghz AP. seems to work really well. only old devices unable to join 5ghz ac network get linked to the hAP

irmankurnia
just joined

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:14 am

guys, can you tell me how to configure wave2 with vlan mode ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:02 am

Configure bridge with vlan filtering and add wifi interface with PVID set. You don't have to configure anything regarding VLANs on wireless interface. One should do VLANs on RB4011 this way even if wireless is not in the mix, it is not possible to do it differrently ...

BTW, this method works for traditional wireless driver as well ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:42 pm

irmankurnia
just joined

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:07 pm

Configure bridge with vlan filtering and add wifi interface with PVID set. You don't have to configure anything regarding VLANs on wireless interface. One should do VLANs on RB4011 this way even if wireless is not in the mix, it is not possible to do it differrently ...

BTW, this method works for traditional wireless driver as well ...
my hap ac3 configured vlan with switch menu, if i configure with bridge vlan filtering, hardware offloading won't work
i need hardware offloading to reduce cpu usage

Hominidae

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:58 pm

...but you cannot configure the WiFi/Wave2 Interfaces/SSIDs VLANs in the switch menu, can you?

irmankurnia
just joined

Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:47 am

...but you cannot configure the WiFi/Wave2 Interfaces/SSIDs VLANs in the switch menu, can you?
so, I have to wait until this feature can be used in the next update ?

Hominidae

Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 am

no, why...you could still add the wifi interfaces to the bridge, but configure the ethernet ports via the switch menu: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... switchchip
The wifi ports do not support hw-offloading anyway.

irmankurnia
just joined

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:55 am

no, why...you could still add the wifi interfaces to the bridge, but configure the ethernet ports via the switch menu: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... switchchip
The wifi ports do not support hw-offloading anyway.
i'm added pvid vlan 10 on bridge port wifi2 (wifiwave) still didn't get ip from dhcp with configure vlan on switch menu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:02 pm

Unless you enable vlan-filtering on bridge, all of VLAN settings on bridge ports (pvid included) are ignored.

Do you use your hAP ac3 as a full-blown ethernet switch? As already mentioned, l2hw offlload doesn't do much unless you have considerable traffic between members of same VLAN connected to different ethernet ports (e.g. members of VLAN 6 connected to ports ether2 and ether5). If traffic is routed (between different VLANs or towards internet) l2hw offload doesn't help.
And in case device isn't really a VLAN switch, you can configure your device only in bridge configuration subtree and leave ethernet subtree empty. In this case wave2 wireless interfaces will work as normal access ports.

Hominidae

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:59 pm

i'm added pvid vlan 10 on bridge port wifi2 (wifiwave) still didn't get ip from dhcp with configure vlan on switch menu
As already said, you need to use vlan-filtering=yes for the wifi interfaces to work with VLANs...but only these.
You maybe could combine things.
Use one ethX as trunk for the wifi traffic...add this ethX to the bridge only (add wifi interfaces of course).
Configure all other ports in switch menu....add a second switch, of you do not have a spare port.

irmankurnia
just joined

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:32 am

Unless you enable vlan-filtering on bridge, all of VLAN settings on bridge ports (pvid included) are ignored.

Do you use your hAP ac3 as a full-blown ethernet switch? As already mentioned, l2hw offlload doesn't do much unless you have considerable traffic between members of same VLAN connected to different ethernet ports (e.g. members of VLAN 6 connected to ports ether2 and ether5). If traffic is routed (between different VLANs or towards internet) l2hw offload doesn't help.
And in case device isn't really a VLAN switch, you can configure your device only in bridge configuration subtree and leave ethernet subtree empty. In this case wave2 wireless interfaces will work as normal access ports.
yes, i need vlan 6 to forward traffic between ether2 and ether5

irmankurnia
just joined

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:34 am

As already said, you need to use vlan-filtering=yes for the wifi interfaces to work with VLANs...but only these.
You maybe could combine things.
Use one ethX as trunk for the wifi traffic...add this ethX to the bridge only (add wifi interfaces of course).
Configure all other ports in switch menu....add a second switch, of you do not have a spare port.
your suggestion work, but its sacrifice one port, need vlan option on wifiwave2, like old driver

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 am

yes, i need vlan 6 to forward traffic between ether2 and ether5

I understand you need it. The question is about actual throughput between these two ports. My experience with hAP ac2 (which features a similar SoC using same CPU) is that device is fully capable of bridging all ether ports with VLAN configured at full speed using bridge configuration. However, it does consume a large part of CPU which would mean reducing wifi performance. However, if realistic throughput between said two ports is not that high (on average), then device should be able to perform wirespeed and have decent wireless performance at the same time while being configured with bridge vlan-filtering.

N.B.: @Hominidae suggested "hybrid" approach of using both /interface/ethernet/switch config and /interface/bridge with vlan-filtering enabled. This kind of setup is not very common (and AFAIK is not supported by Mikrotik at all), is not very well tested and might cause some unexplicable problems. So if you do go that way and things misbehave ever so slightly, this might be the problem.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:24 am

Thank you for all of your inputs. We too noticed an increase of performance on the 5Ghz part on HAP AC3.
We dont find a changelog of wave2 improvementes and fixes.

Hominidae

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:48 pm

...maybe it is not a fix but the lack thereof ?
Hoenstly, I configured everything in defaults and only set the regulatory domain....but how do I know that these things are being followed?
IMHO we have seen a decrease in speed with standard wifi drivers over the years, as more and more regulatory restrictions and other vulnerability fixes had been introduced.
Other vendors seem to do much better but maybe because they are stretching the allowed a bit more?

...just sayin'....still happy with my wifiwave2 setup...did not replace the order for the tp-link EAPs (yet).

Hominidae

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm

N.B.: @Hominidae suggested "hybrid" approach of using both /interface/ethernet/switch config and /interface/bridge with vlan-filtering enabled. This kind of setup is not very common (and AFAIK is not supported by Mikrotik at all), is not very well tested and might cause some unexplicable problems. So if you do go that way and things misbehave ever so slightly, this might be the problem.
I concur...I am also not using it and did not test.
As you said above, the standard method with bridge filtering gives enough throughput without sending the hap-ac3 CPU to hickup.
But I am using these as APs, not Routers nor switches.

irmankurnia
just joined

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:22 pm

I concur...I am also not using it and did not test.
As you said above, the standard method with bridge filtering gives enough throughput without sending the hap-ac3 CPU to hickup.
But I am using these as APs, not Routers nor switches.
i use your suggestion, and i had a problem, devices can't connect to ap after change configuration on interface wave2, needed to disable vlan-filtering before change configuration on interface wave2

Hominidae

Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:31 pm

....as said, I also did not test this.
If you really believe, that hw-offloading for the ethX ports is of essence, then use another switch with a proper switch chip in addition to the hap-ac3.
Then with wifiwave2 use brige filtering with PVODs for VLN seperation and an ethX as trunk to that swicth.
As it seems, you can't have both at the same time (which, as far as I understood, is not related/caused by wifiwave2 but rather is in the switch-chip of the hap-ac3, hence with standard wifi, you'd be in the same boat).