Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sneed
just joined
Topic Author

Is it possible to do a BGP announcement without any upstream commitment?

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:48 pm

I have an IPv4 /24 which works correctly. I also have a large IPv6 subnet that I would like to use. My datacenter has stated they do not have IPv6 resources available. However, I would still like to use my IPv6 resources. Is it possible for me to announce my own IPs with my CCR1016-12G by myself without needing my datacenter/upstream ISP to do so for me?

I am not educated in networking so it's a miracle my setup works at all. I do have a BGP peer with them. I'm not sure what I would have to do to get my IPv6 announced.

TheRealJLH

Re: Is it possible to do a BGP announcement without any upstream commitment?

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:58 pm

that depends on if they have any IPv6 infrastructure at all for example if they do not support ipv6 on their routers or switches then announcing your own ipv6 block to them is pointless becase it can not be routed to the internet and back to you.

however if they do have support for ipv6 in their network then yes you should be able to a announce your block and it sould work fine. this is something that you will need to ask them.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Is it possible to do a BGP announcement without any upstream commitment?

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Hi Sneed,

theoretically, yes. But you need 3 things (besides the correct config):
-a PIR Range (provider independent IP range) assigned to you, this is much easier to get with IPv6 than with IPv4
-an own AS Number (I don't think thats easy to get from a registry such as RIPE in EU for a private person)
-some provider/carrier :) who is willing to peer with yourself (that would also work over a normal IPv4 connection via IPIP or GRE or whatever else, but its ging to be very hard to talk to AT&T or Colt as a private person)

This is no easy task for a beginner. I think its not the technological complexity or the costs, but if you don´t have the connections to someone in the industry, no provider will talk to you.
That's just a guess I didn't try it in private either.

BR
W