MikroTik App

pikpik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

swos-css326 no response on static ip

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 am

Hi
When i change default ip to static CSS stops responding to pings, web ui too. It works fine when i use dhcp or default ip.I see in winbox that ip is changed. When I plug in directly to my laptop it's response fine.
Where can i set up default gateway ?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: swos-css326 no response on static ip

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:39 pm

You don't set a gateway. SwitchOS is pretty simple and will respond to whatever MAC sent data to it.

As for not getting a response, I am gathering that are trying to reach the switch from a different LAN by way of a router. Is that correct? If so, does the router have a LAN or VLAN on the correct LAN with the correct IP for that LAN? If you log into the router, can it ping the switch?

For whatever it's worth, all six of my SwitchOS devices have static IPs set on a dedicated management VLAN and have no problem being able to reach them through my router.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:45 pm

hi!

You probably have a routed connection to your switch as k6ccc wrote. As you can't set a default gateway on the switch you will need to set up a source nat on your router to reach that switch from another subnet.

BR
W

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:11 pm

No. You do NOT need to set a source or destination NAT in the router. The switch will simply send packets back to the same NAC that sent the packets to the switch. That would be the router when the packets are going through the router. Remember that at the MAC layer, the next hop is all you care about. The router will look at the IP and route it.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 pm

No. You do NOT need to set a source or destination NAT in the router. The switch will simply send packets back to the same NAC that sent the packets to the switch. That would be the router when the packets are going through the router. Remember that at the MAC layer, the next hop is all you care about. The router will look at the IP and route it.
Yes, thanks you might be correct, but it has never worked for me otherwise and with source NAT it is just always working. For reasons which are unclear to me right now, however. I was too lazy to look at the packets. Btw. my only devices on SwOS are CSS610, which are running SwOS Lite 2.14, so my experience might not apply to a css326.

BR
W