Community discussions

MikroTik App

MoT
just joined
Topic Author

Is 10G switching to 1G port in CRS309-1G-8S+IN and CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:56 pm

1. Are the 1G ports of CRS309-1G-8S+IN and CRS305-1G-4S+IN switched to their SFP+ ports? So that I can switch some vlans from the 1Gbit port to the 10Gbit SFP+ ports?

Under those product spec pages I have read that the gigabit port is:

in CRS305... "for management access or regular traffic forwarding" https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in
in CRS309... "a management Ethernet port with PoE power input" https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

2. and can I set priority to particular vlans (e.g. on all ports VLAN 100 has priority 1 and vlan 200 has priority 2) for both switch models?

3. Will this work in both SwitchOS and RouterOS?

We are more expierenced with RouterOS so perhaps we would prefer it. Also we heard that SwitchOS 2.13 has many bugs, but older SwitchOS is OK - so perhaps we can stick with it

4. For all above I always mean while keeping hardware offload for vlan switching (fully working).

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is 10G switching to 1G port in CRS309-1G-8S+IN and CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:20 pm

Under those product spec pages I have read

Ah, but what you want to know isn't presented in prose, but diagrammatically. This question is answered on the Block Diagram, via the downloads link on the pages you link to. Answer: yes, the 1G copper ports connect to the same switch chip as the SFP+ ports.

It is always worth studying the block diagram before buying a switch. You can learn surprising things that way.

can I set priority to particular vlans (e.g. on all ports VLAN 100 has priority 1 and vlan 200 has priority 2) for both switch models?

It appears so.

In the case of RouterOS, though, I suspect you'll get more mileage out of queueing than switch-chip level VLAN prioritization.

Will this work in both SwitchOS and RouterOS?

The OS difference doesn't affect the hardware-based answer to question #1. The hardware is the hardware.

As for question #2, I don't believe SwOS can do any sort of intelligent queueing, but there is an ACL tab allowing VLAN priority to be set.

while keeping hardware offload for vlan switching

VLAN prioritization is done with ACL rules, which are a feature of the switch chip. According to this table, the CRS305 has room for 128 rules, and the CRS309 has room for 680 rules.