Community discussions

MikroTik App

Colm
Topic Author

Learning more about "Group Encryption" option

Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 pm

I have built a home network lab and installed some RouterOS devices (Hex S, hAP AC2, hAP AC3) to learn about networking and security. I would like to learn more about an entry in the ROS wireless configuration templates that I have not encountered before. Under CAPsMAN->Security Cfg->security template->"Group Encryption", this is an option I am not familiar with having a parallel in other systems such as pfSense, OPNSense, *WRT, etc.

I have studied the documentation under "CAPsMAN Configuration Concepts" in the wiki manual, but I would like a more in-depth explanation. I have tried searching this forum and the web in general and can't find much, maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms. I gather it relates to the encryption used for general broadcasts. What is the rationale behind having a separate option (i.e. separate from the regular "encryption" option just above it?) for this? Why does this controller offer this option but it doesn't seem to be offered by other software (or is it? does it go by different names?)? What are the implications of leaving this option un-checked? Does it default to using the regular encryption setting, or to not encrypting broadcasts? Is it a major security concern? Where can I study more details on this?

Thanks,
Colm