Community discussions

MikroTik App

bcollie
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik POE adapter with Annke camera

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:40 am

This question goes beyond a purely Mikrotik environment, but someone may have a suggestion...

I have been successfully running a CRS328 supplying POE power to several Annke 8M 4k cameras for at least 12 months.
Now I want to use some of the UTP cables between the CRS and the cameras to instead supply power/data to some new RBGrooveGA AP's, so I need an alternative way of powering the cameras (preferably POE).

I have tried using a Mikrotik POE adapter (that come with RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC: hAPac lite etc.) with 12v and then with 24v wall wart supplies.
The adapter was plugged into a RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC port - the RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC is connected to the CRS328.
RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC works perfectly.

Neither attempt was successful for the camera - blue LED appeared on the POE adapter but the camera did not respond to DHCP and was not discoverable using Annke's SADP program.

The Annke cameras are designed for 12v applied to the power socket coming out of the camera, or, 802.3af POE (as I have been using with the CRS).

There is only about 15m of Cat5e from the 12v or 24v wall wart/POE adapter and RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC, to the camera I am experimenting with.

I understand the Mikrotik power adapter is 'Passive', so figured that 12v (or 24v max) would be safe with the camera.

But do I need a 48v adapter in this POE adapter configuration I wonder?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik POE adapter with Annke camera  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:41 am

Standard (802.3af / at / bt) PoE requires 48V power supply ... and many gadgets, claiming PoE (and without further details) are standard compliant. So yes, do try with 48V power adapter. The fact that camera can take 12V through power jack doesn't change this fact.

bcollie
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik POE adapter with Annke camera

Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:48 am

Thank you Metod,
I shall purchase a 48v supply tomorrow and post the results.
Regards,
Peter