MikroTik App

Bignose2
just joined
Topic Author

Is it OK no Gateway? CSS610-8G-2S

Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:34 am

CSS610-8G-2S+
AAisp Firebrick as main router

I know it says it does not need one & seen a few heated discussion on other threads but just want to be sure.

Still having, now minimal strange behaviour on my network & trying to rule out the CSS610-8G-2S.

I ask as my main managed 24 port switch TL-SG3428X 1.0 does not have a gateway setting either & this causes complete melt down on my LAN if I don't make adjustments.
Any device or PC on static gets a crazy IP & subnet. I'm on 192.168.2.0/24. Even thought set static when you view the details they have settings like 67.34.88.13 subnet 255.255.0.0
Nothing works in this case that is set static, all of my substantial network, can't access etc etc.
Now for such a small setting that I have always had on numerous routers, access points etc. amazed this has such a devastating effect when no obvious reason or advise.
If the TL-SG3428X get's from DHCP it is fine.
I like to know where it is & don't want to rely on the router fixing it.
Bit of googling found that you have to add a Hop in the settings, simple enough but just seems odd that you have to do this, why not have a gateway?? and not entirely sure how this works but it does.

Anyway, this seems to fix 95% of the LAN but one PC attached to the CSS610-8G-2S still goes a little strange when on Static. Actually shows correct info under "Details" not like crazy before but does still loose internet. Seems visible on the LAN & access to the LAN but no internet. DHCP & its fine. Can't afford too much time testing as this PC is in use so much.

So far not found any other of my many devices that are on static, cameras, AP & PC's that have this problem, only this one that is connected to the CSS610-8G-2S so a bit of a coincidence.

Again don't really want to set via the router, prefer in a range with the rest of my static to easily remember & plan, also if I did want to connect direct for any reason I know what it will be on.

It may not be this but odd just this one.
Can this have an added Hop, can't see a similar setting to the Tp-Link

IPv4 Routing Table
Protocol Destination Network Next Hop Distance Metric Interface Name
Static 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.2.1 1 0 VLAN1 Connected
192.168.2.0/24 192.168.2.4 0 1 VLAN1

2.4 is the Switch

Thanks I/A

mfrommel

Re: Is it OK no Gateway? CSS610-8G-2S

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Seems visible on the LAN & access to the LAN but no internet. DHCP & its fine.
This tells that 99.99% you can rule out the CSS610-8G-2S as the source of your problems.

There seams to be something seriously wrong with your IP Network.
Maybe some software installed on one of your PCs?

To pinpoint the root cause you can switch off everything.
And than switch on one device after the other until the errors occur.