Community discussions

MikroTik App

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Omnitik 5 PoE ac disconnect issue

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm

In the past few months I'm having issue with my Omnitik 5 PoE ac.

Omnitik is powered by 48v power adapter (I also tried different adapters), and it's powering wAP ac and Hikvision IP camera.

Every now and then I'm losing camera feed (every few minutes or so) and at that time Omnitik get disconnected from Winbox. Sometimes I can relog right away, sometimes in 30-40 seconds.
However, I cannot find anything unusual in Omnitik log when disconnect happens.
Other issue, not sure if it's connected with first one: Traffic on camera lan port. It should be sustained flow all of the time. Instead, I have every 4-5 seconds traffic drops to few kilobytes, then going up to 3-9Mbits (as it should be), then going down again to few kilobytes. At that time I see camera video stops, or it's choppy for few seconds, or it lags in time.
At the time I'm writing this, I've had 10 minutes of sustained traffic flow, then again it started to happening. And I haven't had single disconnect from winbox, even when lan traffic starts to behave erratically. I'm not sure if those two issues are connected.

I have one more Omnitik with two Hikvision cameras connected, same power adapter, same version of OS (6.49), same settings, and that one is behaving as it should.

Any ideas ?

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Omnitik 5 PoE ac disconnect issue

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:45 pm

Small update:

after trying different cables, I've managed to narrow down the problem to ethernet-1 socket on Omnitik.
I'm not sure exactly what's problem with it, because POE is working fine but data doesn't transmit properly (although it's connected as 1Gbit), no matter if I swap cables. I'm getting ping loss when pinging, if I use bandwidth test I'm getting full stop on data flow, I get random disconnects in winbox (although log doesn't record it as disconnect), etc.

If I just give power through POE on ethernet1 and use ethernet2 as data, everything is fine. What could be the problem ?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:29 pm

I would say the problems are related to Layer 1, e.g. UTP cable, connectors etc
After that i would check the PSU...

But if i understood correctly you have tried all the above...
What is your ROS version?
Are those devices the only equipment in the network ?
What is the overall network topology ?

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:28 pm

I would say the problems are related to Layer 1, e.g. UTP cable, connectors etc
After that i would check the PSU...

But if i understood correctly you have tried all the above...
What is your ROS version?
Are those devices the only equipment in the network ?
What is the overall network topology ?
I'll go from end to beginning:
network topology isn't an issue, because problem also occurs when I connect Omnitik to 1 computer only and when I reset all the settings to default.
ROS version is 6.49.3
Cables are factory made, swapped few of them.

Also update regarding solution above (POE in eth1, data on eth5):
it behaves more-less the same when both POE and data goes to Eth1.

To sum it up:
- I have wAP ac and 1 Hikvison camera connected to Omnitik
- wAP ac is constantly disconnecting in Winbox every 30secs-1min, then recconects. Speedtest gives very bad result, in term that data flow stops for few seconds then continues, etc.
- Hikvision camera is freezing picture for few seconds then continues normally. Then disconnects for entirely for 10 seconds then appears
- Pinging Omnitik from computer gives ping drops. On the beginning every 3rd ping timed out, then later it gets more rare (every 10th or 20th), but then it comes back to every 3rd or 4th.
- Bandwidth test from Omnitik to main router (1100AHx4) also gives very erratic result - it goes full speed 920Mbits/s, then numbers freeze, then continue at smaller speed).
- I don't see anything out of ordinary in Omnitik log, nor in WAPac log.
- LAN speed on ethernet sockets are 1GBit

UPDATE:
- if I lower ethernet speed to 100Mbit full duplex, I get same issue.
- If I ping from cmd tool from computer, I get every second ping dropped exactly (50% loss).

UPDATE #2
- I just turned on atuo-negotiation again on eth5, it connected to 1Gbit and I have no issue at the moment. And after a while I will get same issue. Same thing was when I forced 100Mbit - I had no issue for few minutes then it started again.

afuchs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:21 pm

If you conned with the Winbox over ethernet or WLAN?
Have you checked your uptime to bee sure that sure Omnitik and wAP ac aren't rebooting?
Have you a 5 GHz (DFS/ radar) or a 2.4 GHz connection? Witch distance and are there obstetrical in the way (trees, cars, people, water lines,..)?
Is the WLAN in this area perhaps crowded with other WLANs or is there a high voltage machine in the area?
Are you using IPV4 or MAC- Connection with your Winbox (MAC connections are wanky)?
Have you checked if the PoE matches and if it works when you power the camera with a PoE-injektor or a other power supplie?

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:06 pm

If you conned with the Winbox over ethernet or WLAN?
Ethernet
Have you checked your uptime to bee sure that sure Omnitik and wAP ac aren't rebooting?
Uptime is exactly as it should be, at the moment 23 hours, because last time I've shut it down was yesterday this time.
Have you a 5 GHz (DFS/ radar) or a 2.4 GHz connection? Witch distance and are there obstetrical in the way (trees, cars, people, water lines,..)?
Is the WLAN in this area perhaps crowded with other WLANs or is there a high voltage machine in the area?
Connecting with ethernet, therefore this isn't an issue.
Are you using IPV4 or MAC- Connection with your Winbox (MAC connections are wanky)?
IP address.
Have you checked if the PoE matches and if it works when you power the camera with a PoE-injektor or a other power supplie?
I haven't checked because I tried also without anything connected to Omnitik and it behaves in the same manner.

Also, from my last post, when I turned on auto-negotiation on eth5 (that's my outbound port at the moment, eth1 is only for power), everything is running smoothly. No ping loss, no camera freeze. But as soon as I started bandwidth test, after a while, I'm getting speed drop, even Winbox disconnect. And when it connects back, bandwidth test tool gets reseted (zeroes instead of IP adress in "Test to" field).
I actually hate this because I cannot isolate the problem.

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Update:

Instead of Omnitik, I've put up hEX PoE, everything is working fine for 7 hours now.

On my office desk, I've fired up Omnitik, with his own power supply and brand new PoE injector. I'm using 50cm cat6 factory made LAN cable to deliver PoE+Data (I tried 4 of them). Auto-negotiate gives 1Gbit connection.
I'm getting all these issues I described above:
- Winbox disconnects randomly
- Ping loss when pinging from PC cmd
- Bandwidth test tool is behaving erratic, data flow freezing, speed nowhere near 1Gbit speed, etc.

Similar behavior I get if I use eth1 as power only and any other port as data connection (I'm only getting 260Mbit throughoutput in average, although not many winbox disconnects).
It seems my Omnitik is faulty. I'm just wondering what seems to be the problem.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:46 pm

Indeed the problem seems to be Hardware related.

However, i would netinstall the device to the latest version and then Test again.

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:20 pm

Another situation development:

After running for 16 hours without issued, my hEX poe disconnected this morning for the first time. I also had few pings dropped. Bandwidth test showed speed decrease to around 700Mbit/s. Swapped cable - same thing.
Then I took another power supply and swapped. Speed immediately returned to 920Mbit/s , no more ping loss, no more disconnects for 4 hours already.
I think I came to cause of the problem - bad power supply.

Why didn't I saw that before ? Because, when I've put new power supply on Omnitik, I got zero change in behavior. Maybe it was already too late, if unit got damaged.

I used multimeter and it shows that power supply gives declared voltage of 48v. I also inspected visually by opening it, saw no anomalies with naked eye.
Is there any other way to check if power supply is faulty in any way. And if it is something wrong with it, how could it damage Omnitik in a way described above ?
Thanks !

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:07 pm

I mentioned the Power supply check on post #3...

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:52 pm

I mentioned the Power supply check on post #3...
Yes, you did. And I told you Omnitik is behaving the same with new power supply.