Community discussions

MikroTik App

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

WAP AC LTE6 - abysmal LTE speeds

Thu May 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Hello, I bought the WAP AC LTE6 kit (wAPGR-5HacD2HnD&R11e-LTE6), hoping that I'd get at least the same speeds compared to my ISP's router, Huawei B525. However, the difference is drastic.
The Huawei router reaches 12.3 Mbps download and 2.2 Mbps upload, which is quite bad for LTE, but that's the speed it consistently reaches in Speedtest.net.
The Mikrotik router reaches barely 5.4 Mbps and 1.5 Mbps upload, so it manages to perform even worse! Even though the device stands in the exact same location the Huawei router did and uses the same exact SIM card. Why would it perform worse?
I've tried changing bands around but I haven't gained much. One of the bands allowed me to pull 8 Mbps but only push like 0.4 Mbps, that's not a compromise I'm willing to take. And besides, this device has an LTE6 modem, shouldn't it be using multiple bands just like my Huawei router does?
I've upgraded the device to the latest stable RouterOS version. Changing the MTU between 1400, 1480, 1482 and 1500 provided no improvement. I'm attaching screenshots of speedtests done with both devices (connected with a 1 Gbps Cat6 cable) along with cellular information from both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAP AC LTE6 - abysmal LTE speeds

Thu May 28, 2020 11:06 pm

You mark to match.
LTE6 at B20 is always slow and you should compere them at the same cell&band but you mark all details.

Play have all B3, B1, B7 and worst B20.
Show what you have in:
/interface lte export verbose

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 pm

You're right, I'll measure signal strength with each band and with both routers, but I'll do that tomorrow since it's getting late :)
[admin@MikroTik-LTE] > /interface lte export verbose
# may/28/2020 20:53:55 by RouterOS 6.46.6
# software id = ZH3X-6M1I
#
# model = RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = i don't think I should be showing that?
/interface lte apn
set [ find default=yes ] add-default-route=yes apn=internet \
    default-route-distance=2 name=default use-peer-dns=yes
/interface lte
set [ find ] allow-roaming=yes apn-profiles=default band=3,7,20 disabled=no \
    mac-address=AC:xx:xx:xx:xx:FD mtu=1400 name=lte1 network-mode=gsm,3g,lte
BTW, the choice of bands is based by the fact there's only one BTS near me that I can use, and according to a BTS database, it runs on bands 800, 1800, 2100. Or should I leave this to 'auto' instead?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 am

easy, HManager show you a CellID, at BTSearch.pl you can found that cellID and what Frequency it was.
Set at LTE6 the same Band and check speed.

You should check all tree band's and compare speeds.
r11e-LTE6 can do in speed freq only 2CA: B3+B7 (1800+2600)
Slow + fast like B20 + (B3 or B1 or B7)

B525 have the same posibility, check this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=131389#p763914

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 10:29 pm

The results are in, but I think I should re-do the test in the morning, since even with my Huawei router I'm getting results that are already sad to look at, and I'm thinking the differences might be within a margin of error. In the morning my speeds should be much better, might underline the difference more clearly.
I've read somewhere that updating to the latest version of RouterOS 7 (even though it's still in beta) has a chance to improve LTE connectivity, do you think it's worth a try?
Results.png
Cellular info below. I say these forums really need a [spoiler] tag so these images don't stretch the forums so hard... Would make it easier to navigate. The file names under the images are self-descriptive.
Huawei auto.jpg
Huawei 2100 B1.jpg
Huawei 1800 B3.jpg
Huawei 800 B20.jpg
Mikrotik auto.jpg
Mikrotik 2100 B1.jpg
Mikrotik 1800 B3.jpg
Mikrotik 800 B20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2020 11:39 am

And here's the test done in the morning. As I was saying...
Results morning.png
Severely disappointed. I'm ready to return this device if there's no way to fix it til Monday...

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Results morning.png
Severely disappointed. I'm ready to return this device if there's no way to fix it til Monday...
If the integrated antenna of WAP AC R are the same of the old WAP R they are weaker than the integrated of B525.

I used both WAP R and B525s (now i'm using LHG R). At my house i have poor reception and i used external directional antenna with them.
The Mikrotik and Huawei performance are almost the same with the same external antenna (Huawei already have sma connectors, WAP needs optional ufl-sma pigtails).

Just change the antenna and you'll have very good performance with Mikrotik. The advantage is the great number of information and options for the modem (i can't use modem with only auto setting here).

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Results morning.png
If the integrated antenna of WAP AC R are the same of the old WAP R they are weaker than the integrated of B525.

I used both WAP R and B525s (now i'm using LHG R). At my house i have poor reception and i used external directional antenna with them.
The Mikrotik and Huawei performance are almost the same with the same external antenna (Huawei already have sma connectors, WAP needs optional ufl-sma pigtails).

Just change the antenna and you'll have very good performance with Mikrotik. The advantage is the great number of information and options for the modem (i can't use modem with only auto setting here).
Do you mean antennas for use indoors or outdoors? Because the latter is not an option for me.
How much would that cost? And how would I even install them, I guess I'd need to disassemble the device? Will that void the warranty?
Depending on the cost, I thinking returning this and getting a Huawei B535 might be a better option for me, so I can aggregate B1 and B3 bands for potentially much higher speeds...

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Depending on the cost, I thinking returning this and getting a Huawei B535 might be a better option for me, so I can aggregate B1 and B3 bands for potentially much higher speeds...
You not read a post what I write... the B535 and wAP R ac + LTE6 have the same band agreggation possibility. B618 have got B3+B1 but not B535.
wAP R ac have bad internal antenna but can be mounted outdoor and B535 cannot.
To both you can install external antenna to reach better speeds, ATK 504 or CyberTech - read about them.

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:45 pm

You not read a post what I write... the B535 and wAP R ac + LTE6 have the same band agreggation possibility. B618 have got B3+B1 but not B535.
wAP R ac have bad internal antenna but can be mounted outdoor and B535 cannot.
I'm sorry since I'm getting mixed responses about this (I also asked for advice on my ISP's forums), but are you sure you're not mixing up B525 (LTE6) and B535 (LTE7)? The first one is present in the table you sent, and I understand it will not aggregate 1800+2100. The second one isn't, and some quick googling of "huawei b535 aggregation" shows people talking about this device aggregating these two bands, and I was also told by someone else that this device is capable of it. But I couldn't find any proper information about it, so... How is it?
Also as I mentioned, external antennas are out of the question. Especially since the B525 I've been using all this time can reach over 30 Mbps, so its signal reception seems just fine.

PS: Not to mention that the B618 is getting close to the $300 range...

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAP AC LTE6 - abysmal LTE speeds  [SOLVED]

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Yes, I miss the one digit... sorry.
I modify picture to this:
Huawei CA.png
base at: https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3659742.html

---

UKE ściągawka:
UKE B3_1_7.png

kamild1996
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Huawei B535 it is then, thank you so much :)

Just a quick question, I had a look at the antennas you suggested - the ATK 504, and this one from CyberTech. The second one seems to be on a sale right now but I was wondering - these are clearly described as "external antennas", so I assume it would be mostly a waste of time to mount them somewhere indoors? I do have something like a 250m deep wall of trees between me and the only BTS in my area, which would still be in the way no matter how I placed my antenna outside or inside (unless I got a bloody mast of my own I guess lmao)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Any antenna with better signal gain will be better then a antenna with lower signal gain.
Remember that every antenna have got differ gain per differ frequency (band).
Read more here http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?p=572353#p572353

I go near to bts, like ~600m and do test every band every ISP to discover that that tower can give me in max. Test done after 2:00 at night.
Then I know what bands are importand and from what ISP... and then I try select best lte module + antenna .

ARTofCORE
just joined

Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:40 pm

Hello Mikrotik community

I also have a speed problem with my wAP ac LTE6 kit. but only downstream. Upstream is exactly what my Proverder is selling me.
I installed the wAP on the roof thinking the poor speed was on the walls. Now I have direct line of sight from the wAP to the LTE antenna (89m distance). i got arround 12Mbps down (same as inhouse) and 25 up. but the provider gives me 50/25. if i do a speedtest with my cellphone, i got arround 40/25Mbps (same provicer, same priceplan, but not the same simcard). ETH1 Linkt with 1Gbps (testet). any ideas?
I hope the screenshot has enough info. otherwise please let me know.

thanks for answers.
ART

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:11 pm

I also have a speed problem with my wAP ac LTE6 kit. but only downstream. Upstream is exactly what my Proverder is selling me.
I'd look at your MTU as one thing, may not be it. But you can check the MTU using ping over the lte1 interface, with the don't fragment to test the actual size. Or, more simply, could try lowering the MTU on the lte1 interface, say 1420, and see if that helps your speedtest.

Otherwise, generally speaking, downstream is often more congested. And the wAPac's built-in antennas aren't that great. Plus the R11e-LTE6 may not be able to use all the band your phone does. On the later, Androids and iPhone have a "field test mode" (on iPhone you place a call to *3001#12345#*) to see what bands their using.

ARTofCORE
just joined

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:46 am

Hey Amm0

Thanks for your Answer. i tried with MTU 1420 but still the same.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:48 am

Thanks for your Answer. i tried with MTU 1420 but still the same.
I'd try to see if moving it get the "CQI" value higher. You cannot control if others are sharing the spectrum, but you can improve your efficiency in what you get.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:36 am

This is next that unit... sorry but only way I know and maybe it's be work is just do lte firmware upgrade (this should not be a antenna issue, if it is connected) .
# Check your and latest firmware version
/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1
# Do upgrade by:
/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes

If not this then only http://help.mikrotik.com .