Community discussions

MikroTik App

smbecker3673
just joined
Topic Author

VPLS Tunnels not working on v7-v7.1.3

Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:39 am

I have some VPLS Tunnels setup to allow me to have a "Fake Ethernet" port I can drop in a bridge or do whatever else I want with them much like an EoIP Tunnel.
Since upgrading my main router to v7 and above, none of the tunnels work the way they did before. The seem to connect somewhat because I can see information about the remote router in LDP Neighbor, but the interfaces never show an R for registered and pass no traffic.
I thought maybe this was do to the other routers being on v6 and I finally netinstalled one since we no longer have individual packages to remove for some of the smaller units with limited space and no matter what I do, I get the same outcome with both routers on 7.1.3.
I used to use EoIP years ago for this but started running into weird issues in which any device that was on the same bridge as the EoIP interface would not be able to access certain sites. Basically had to setup my router from scratch and test every setting until the problem came back and it was when I added the EoIP tunnel to the bridge. Found out about VPLS and never had any issues since. That is until v7.
If I roll back to v6, everything works again. After I reset them up because it deletes all the VPLS info during the downgrade. I have tried resetting them up from scratch on v7 with no luck also. I understand some things have changed with VPLS and maybe I am just doing it wrong now, but I have tried almost every setting I can find and documentation is very lacking for ROS v7.
The biggest reason for the Layer 2 VPLS tunnel is for an office VoIP phone for remote work, luckily nobody is working remotely at the moment or I'm afraid I would be rolling back every single MT I have updated.