Community discussions

MikroTik App

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Is /tool/ping-speed suppose to support IPv6?

Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:27 pm

Maybe I'm the only one who finds "ping-speed" useful. I use it as a quick measure of the "quality" of a LTE interface, without having to run a more invasive bandwidth/speedtest.

But I ran into an issue as we've been enabling IPv6 on some of our LTE interface: my trusty /tool/ping-speed actually doesn't seem to work with an IPv6 address.

Tried to check to the docs to see if the limitation was noted – but found "/tool ping-speed" is actually completely undocumented. In fact, the only reference I could find was from a @Normis post in 2011 to the V2 docs it seems: https://mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2.9/tools/speed.php

I've used "ping-speed" for years with PPP/LTE...but begs the question does anyone else use it and/or why is it seemingly undocumented (or deprecated)?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is /tool/ping-speed suppose to support IPv6?

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:47 am

Like you notice on another topic, the documentation is really poor...
And apparently do notwork on IPv6

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Is /tool/ping-speed suppose to support IPv6?

Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:46 am

Fair enough. But complaining is free. I actually ran into into since a script errored out with a ping-speed with an IPv6 address in a loop – BUT took a second to figure out it was a type issue ;-).

Obviously solvable with yet-another-if-do-else. But MT does seem to be trying to improve their docs in help.mikrotik.com, so filed this as bugs: SUP-77397 (no docs) and SUP-77398 (no IPv6 support).