Community discussions

MikroTik App

MaPuO
just joined
Topic Author

All kinds of performance weirdness with RB5009(some solutions)

Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:16 am

Wasn't sure where to post this, here or in General, after testing for half a day I feel like my head is about to explode. Tested multiple times both the 7.1.3 stable and 7.2rc4 same results. All I wanted is to run default config and use simple queue running fq codel or cake so that when somebody is streaming or downloading something I wouldn't get a lot of jitter or ping spikes while gaming. I have 1gbs plan from isp and my setup is 2.5gbs modem port to 2.5gbs router port, 2.5 advertisement is disabled coz of known speed issues(I'll come back to that), fasttrack is disabled. First I wanted to see what's the max speed using fq codel, looked like its maxing out at ~760mbs so I set the limit to 720, but then I noticed when speed was crossing 500-550 I would start getting packet loss, so setting the limit to 500 fixes the issue, but I was still looking for reasons why/solutions to fix it. Tried all kinds of different settings, tried fq codel, tried cake, all same results and then I came across this setting: System>RouterBOARD>Settings>CPU Frequency, the default is set to auto, changing it to 1400MHz not only pushed the speed using fq codel from 760 to full 940 but also fixed packet loss.
Now to some speed results, again it was the same with 7.1.3 stable and 7.2rc4, speed tests were done using speedtest.net windows app, all tests to the same server(CPU Frequency is set to 1400Mhz, fasttrack is disabled):
link speed 1gbs, no qos = 930-940
link speed 2.5gbs, no qos = 700-800
link speed 1gbs, fq codel(limit 950) = 930-940
link speed 1gbs, fq codel(limit 980(I know you cant get that much)) = 930-940
link speed 2.5gbs, fq codel(limit 980) = 700-800
link speed 2.5gbs, fq codel(limit 950) = 945 (what the hell is this I have no idea, so basically setting the limit to anything below 950 will get you full result, but setting it over will go back to default 700-800)
Hopefully all that will be fixed in future updates.

rplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: All kinds of performance weirdness with RB5009(some solutions)

Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks, that seems kind of useful.

Perhaps the router is pushing its 1G port connected to your computer too hard, and it is dropping packets.
Not really sure how that works, given the incoming rate from the ISP is 1Gbps. (Bursts?)

In the past I have seen something similar on a Hex running openwrt where a PC into a 1G port bridged to a 100M output ran badly.
Running RouterOS with some 6.4x version in the same configuration worked ok.