Community discussions

MikroTik App

rumples
just joined
Topic Author

L3HW support on DX3000 and DX2000 switch chips

Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:50 am

I'm looking at picking up a CRS326 and I'm trying to understand what, if any, L3HW functionality would be supported on that model with 7.1+.

The help pages list the switch model under the "DX3000 and DX2000" section - and specifies that they do not support Fasttrack and NAT connection offloading.
I'm trying to make sense of which features are supported and what that means for real-world benefits/usecases.

From what I can gather, inter-vlan routing relies on Fastrack so it wouldn't be offloadable.

Does anyone have examples of offloadable workloads for these chipsets?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L3HW support on DX3000 and DX2000 switch chips

Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:35 am

fast-track and NAT are about connection tracking ... which is corner stone of stateful firewall, run by ROS. So if your use case involves CRS in any kind of firewalling duties, then no, these won't be offloaded to hardware.

Routing per se, however, can be HW offloaded. So if CRS task would be simple routing between different networks (virtual LAN included) without firewalling, NATing or any other high-level stuff, then it would be HW offloaded. Essentially: with firewall disabled (or without a single rule in any of /ip/firewall/ subtrees, CRS becomes wire-speed router (with limitations about number of offloaded routes).