Community discussions

MikroTik App

dhelazt
just joined
Topic Author

Replace FLASH on HAP & HEX with larger capacity

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:43 am

Hi, i have many HAP & HEX in my office after replacing router on our client. Most client required quite lot service where HAP/HEX didn't have enough space to accomodate all required extra packages we need. So, we replaced them with old RB951 or even upgrade them to 2011/3011 series.
Then, i'm thinking about replacing the FLASH inside HAP/HEX series, because it seems MT using regular SPI Flash like Winbond W25Q128JVSM inside HAP AC2. What happen if i replace the Flash memory with Winbond W25Q256 or equal Flash? I know i will lose the license, but will it work? I can purchase another Level 4 License if it work and increase Flash capacity from 16MB to 32MB will make HAP series more powerfull router. For example, HAP AC2 is a good Router for me except it always run out of storage.

Thanks

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Replace FLASH on HAP & HEX with larger capacity

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:40 am

Take a look at hAP AC3. More storage, more RAM and can be bolted to the wall. It's an internal unit, though.
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac3

dhelazt
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:46 am

HAP AC3 currently out of stock at Indonesia when i bought AC2, until today only Pre-Ordered is available to purchase AC3 from local distributor. I looking for cheap solution for upgrading Flash on HEX or HAP series router i have in my office. Maybe i can make them useful by upgrading the Flash memory.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:11 pm

The license cost is bigger than the unit itself. Makes no sense upgrading the flash chip. It's cheaper just to resell the unit and buy another one.

tweaker
just joined

Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Hi,

where does your stament that you loose the license from?

i'm planning to do just the same as you are planning.
just haven't received the parts i ordered in china yet.

i'm planning to first read out the flash chip, then flash the result in a new (bigger) chip, and then solder it to the board.

it's a shame MT didn't do this in the first place.

Edit: result: you can replace the flash chip with a bigger one. More space, is visible in winbox, but... the software ID changes, and because of this the licence is t valid any more, So, this is not working.
Last edited by tweaker on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:34 pm

The license key is kept on the flash. If You loose it, the license is gone. I don't know how easy, or hard, would be to transfer this to another flash - but I would ask support first.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:59 pm

Edit: result: you can replace the flash chip with a bigger one. More space, is visible in winbox, but... the software ID changes, and because of this the licence is t valid any more, So, this is not working.
you can boot openwrt and dump the flash beforehand. or use a SOP8 adaptor and dump the flash once it's desoldered.
can you please drop here the part# you used to replace the original flash?

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:37 am

From W25Q128JV datasheet:
Advanced Security Features
– 64-Bit Unique ID for each device
– 3X256-Bytes Security Registers with OTP locks

So it's likely these features are used for soft-id. Even if you dump and clone regular flash contents, you can't clone chip Unique ID.