Community discussions

MikroTik App

rb9999
just joined
Topic Author

bricked wap60g

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:09 pm

One of my wap60g which was part of a working wireless wire kit for about three years died on me yesterday. I upgraded it from 6.49.1 (routerboot version as well) to ROS 6.49.4 and afterwards is became unresponsive. After further inspection I noticed it goes straight to neinstall mode (bunch of BOOTP requests on the wire) so I connected it directly to a PC and tried with that. I can see the in netinstall but when I try to flash the firmware, it says 'formatting hard drive' and then goes straight to 'ready' again. Any chance of recovery or anything like that? Maybe NAND replacement?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: bricked wap60g

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:36 pm

Some users reported that in case when netinstall immediately transitions from "formatting..." to "ready", it helps to close netinstall and open it again (but leave the RB device alone) ... after netinstall restart they repeated the install action and it went fine this time.

rb9999
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:34 pm

In this case it goes from 'sending offer' to 'ready', which prolly ain't good either.

rb9999
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:11 am

So... another fun fact. As this was my last wap60g (the only one actually) just to keep the link up I had to reuse an old wap (2.4, non ac) I replaced on both sides. Yesterday I tried to upgrade it via winbox and it failed the same as wap60g! After I uninstalled it and connected it directly to my PC it has the same symptoms - can see a bunch of BOOTP, can't boot or install via netinstall.It stops on formatting hard drive and goes directly back to ready even though the system is unresponsive afterwards. I'm thinking more and more the issues is on the uplink switch which also provides poe - rb260gsp running swos 1.17. it seems i successfully bricked yet another device. so. any way of unbricking this?

rb9999
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:26 pm

... and after a couple of days, salvation. Tried running netinstall on a win10 pc (before I was running it on win11). It actually worked! I unbricked both wap60g of wireless wire and wap as well. Did lose the configuration but nevertheless I'd say it's a success. The wireless wire is now back with great throughputs and stability over ~50m and wap is back in a drawer.

Offtopic. Does mikrotik have any plans of releasing netinstall for ARM cpus? I have a bunch of RPIs and I'd print a cute little ol' box with touch lcd and battery, and couple of npk files on SD card that would come in handy to unbrick devices directly on the field.