MikroTik App

wojtekc
just joined
Topic Author

Cracked cover on RouterBOARD DISC Lite5

Sat May 19, 2018 10:51 am

12 months after installation. Tragedy.

Normis. I'm waiting for a comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cracked cover on RouterBOARD DISC Lite5

Sun May 20, 2018 5:03 pm

We have the same problem. Dozens of pieces. I can add photos ...

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 am

It just broke? No hits, no assemble/disassemble? If so, looks like a serious design problem.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 am

it haped by it self? Your divace looks black , did you instal near chimney?

wojtekc
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 7:44 am

it haped by it self? Your divace looks black , did you instal near chimney?
No.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 am

The initial production batch did have an issue with the outer plastic shrinking at a different rate than the inside, causing cracks on the cover when there are big temperature changes. We have already fixed the issue in production a while ago. The units that show cracks like this are covered by warranty (if you have warranty, we will exchange them). I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the seller to exchange it as soon as possible.

wojtekc
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks!!!

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 pm

The initial production batch did have an issue with the outer plastic shrinking at a different rate than the inside, causing cracks on the cover when there are big temperature changes. We have already fixed the issue in production a while ago. The units that show cracks like this are covered by warranty (if you have warranty, we will exchange them). I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the seller to exchange it as soon as possible.
If warranty is 12 months and they crack after 13 months, who's fault is it because the outer plastic shrinking at a different rate than the inside, causing cracks on the cover when there are big temperature changes?
The client fault, of course.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 am

That is actually excellent manufacturing! Not every company can achieve such precise timing.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm asking Mikrotik to start a replace or repair program.
It's stupid to replace units after one year of use.
What about our work and our money?
This suck and Mikrotik should repair these units for free because is responsible for this issue.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 pm

My distributor said that they received entire batches with them already cracked an Mikrotik refuses to recognize the fabrication issue.
Mikrotik staff should be ashame for this kind of scamming practices.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 am

I think the problem was recognized by Normis a couple of replies above, so I don't see how that can be a problem...

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Recognizing the problem does not fix the cracks.
Now can you see the problem?
But sending new covers so we can replace them is a solution to the problem.

When ubiquity had problems with cracking ToughCable, they replaced it.
When almost all car industry had a airbag,brake or software problems, they recall the cars for service.
When Samsung had sell explosive phones, they replace the phones.
Can you see the problem now?

Once you sell a defective product, you have the responsibility for it to deliver the specifications including the outdoor plastic case which should not cracked for many years.
A simple "I'm sorry" does not clean the oil spill also https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... costs-soar
SXT had also problems with water ingress and resseting it to default. They just cant design an outdoor case. Disk Lite is still new product, we will see after 2-3 years how many will survive.
Mikrotik have to do something about that.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:08 pm

When almost all car industry had a airbag,brake or software problems, they recall the cars for service.
All of the above have a cost value above $30 and 2 out of those 3 threaten life so the manufacturer would have to act.

It's not great design and I'm not defending it but it's a very cheap piece of kit in the first instance. I imagine the profit would dissolve if they undertook proposed repair or replace programs. You get what you pay for.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Recognizing the problem does not fix the cracks.
But sending new covers so we can replace them is a solution to the problem.

Once you sell a defective product, you have the responsibility for it to deliver the specifications including the outdoor plastic case which should not cracked for many years.
A simple "I'm sorry" does not clean the oil spill also https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... costs-soar
SXT had also problems with water ingress and resseting it to default. They just cant design an outdoor case. Disk Lite is still new product, we will see after 2-3 years how many will survive.
Mikrotik have to do something about that.
That is what he wrote they are doing. So I don't see the problem.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 pm

In fact they are not.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:11 pm

is it "own experience that they refuse that" or is it "my distributor claims they refuse that"? These are two different things. Distributor can lie. You can directly contact Mikrotik and verify it...
Receiving faulty batch without replacement seems like joke and I have hard time to believe such story - that would be suicide for manufacturer.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

"my distributor claims they refuse that"

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm

I know. It was just rhetorical question because you already said it. The thing is that distributor will make no money on fulfilling warranty - on the contrary, it just takes their money away and it is easier to make excuses. They do not produce the stuff so their living does not depend on good name of one brand - they can simply sell different one.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:14 pm

They told me that mikrotik sent them replacement part and can send me to change it myself.
After that are not responding my emails anymore.

valcanale
just joined

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 pm

We have the same problem on about fifty units (see attached photos). It's a tragedy! We bought and installed them about 12 months ago, but the italian distributor told us that Mikrotik are offering 12 months warranty to its Distributors (as described in MK RMA policy). I think this is totally wrong, Mikrotik must offer warranty referring to the last invoice. In this case there is a production problem, and in Europe in case of lack of conformity legal warranty is 24 months. As Mikrotik knows which units are affected by this lack of conformity, they must start a recall plan offering products repair or replacement for each customer. We are waiting for an official answer from Mikrotik!

Here some useful links about European warranty:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... dex_en.htm
https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/s ... dex_en.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:54 pm

For private persons, European Union mandates warranty 24 months from the seller. Ask the seller about this. Your warranty is from them, not from MikroTik.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:15 pm

But the defective units are from you and they are defective because of you!
You should support this repairs not the seller.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:17 pm

The seller is dealing with MikroTik, not end user. This should be of no concern of how this is done.

valcanale
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:15 pm

We have hundreds of installations on house roofs, where we used elevator platforms to reach them. We have incurred high costs to do these type of installations, and we cannot go on each roof every day to see if the CPE is still intact or if it's broken! Mikrotik MUST comunicate to its customers serial numbers of affected CPE, then offer a free CPE substitution or at least a repair KIT, avoiding future CPE break-ups. A reliable company, in a case like this, have to start a recall plan! This is the minimum that Mikrotik should do!

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:03 pm

The seller is dealing with MikroTik, not end user. This should be of no concern of how this is done.
The seller fuc*ed me.
Or you read posts selective?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 pm

The seller fuc*ed me.
Or you read posts selective?
If your VW car (or whatever make your car is) breaks down, do you deal about it directly with VW production plant in Wolfsburg (or where ever your car's manufacturer happens to have their production plant)? Probably not, probably you go to your local VW (or whichever your car producer is) dealer and get them to fix your car.

The only thing you can hope to get from MT is to have MT press on your local seller to fulfill their part. For that, you have to try to get statement from seller about not sending you replacements and present it to MT. OTOH you can publicly state which seller screwed you so at least a few potential buyers will stay away from them.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Netter System SRL

str. Harghitei nr. 13

535400 Cristuru Secuiesc, jud. Harghita, RO

(+4) 0756 - 165 201

sales@mikrotik.ro

Janevski

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 am

That is actually excellent manufacturing! Not every company can achieve such precise timing.
Seems to me like this issue is noticeable when all four seasons of the year have passed.
You're right, great engineering, precise warranty calculation.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm

We have hundreds of installations on house roofs, where we used elevator platforms to reach them. We have incurred high costs to do these type of installations, and we cannot go on each roof every day to see if the CPE is still intact or if it's broken! Mikrotik MUST comunicate to its customers serial numbers of affected CPE, then offer a free CPE substitution or at least a repair KIT, avoiding future CPE break-ups. A reliable company, in a case like this, have to start a recall plan! This is the minimum that Mikrotik should do!
+ 1

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Please contact the seller (MikroTik distributor). They have been informed on how to resolve these issues and replace the covers. If your distributor refuses service or ignores these requests, all I can suggest is to choose the shop based on quality, not price.

valcanale
just joined

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Please contact the seller (MikroTik distributor). They have been informed on how to resolve these issues and replace the covers. If your distributor refuses service or ignores these requests, all I can suggest is to choose the shop based on quality, not price.
Thank you @normis, but how can I know which CPE's will be broken next winter? Why Mikrotik doesn't comunicate serial numbers of affected CPE's? Or I have to replace covers of every CPE?
Thank you

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Sorry but I can't know which device could possibly break. This is a thing that can happen randomly.

valcanale
just joined

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Ok, in this case I have to stop buying your Mikrotik Disc Lite5 because they randomly breaks and ask to my seller to retire the whole stock. You wrote that Mikrotik solved this production problem a while ago, but I don't know when a CPE was produced, and I cannot spend money on installations where CPE randomly will be broken. Do you have a better solution?

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 pm

I will only buy LHGs.

valcanale
just joined

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am

I will only buy LHGs.
It should be nice, but they are not suitable with snowfall...
@normis: really I cannot understand why a company like Mikrotik doesn't have a production traceability system that allows to know which products are affected by production defects. This is a serious quality problem!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 am

Distributors have this information, like I said, you must contact them to find out the details. I am not in a position to post serial numbers on a forum.

valcanale
just joined

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 am

Distributors have this information, like I said, you must contact them to find out the details. I am not in a position to post serial numbers on a forum.
Thank you Normis. As you said, the right procedure is:
  • Ask to the distributor which are my defective CPE's
  • Distributor will send me a repair kit for each CPE
  • I will fix CPE's by myself
Is it the right procedure?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:27 am

Something like that. But since we have no control over the distributors, they might have some other procedure. They will decide how to handle it best.

valcanale
just joined

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:40 pm

@normis: I have some updates:

1. The distributor told me he didn't receive any serial number from Mikrotik, only some replacement covers.
2. We did a check on some installed CPE and we found randomly cracked cover on CPE's bought from April 2017 to some months ago. It's a tragedy.
3. We have something like 500 Disc Lite5 installed on house roofs, our fear is that every CPE we bought could be affected by this issue.
4. "Some replacement covers" without knowing which CPE are potentially affected by the problem is not a solution for us!

what should we do now? Distributor doesn't know which CPE's are affected by the problem and we cannot wait for the winter to know which CPE will break.
@normis please give us a solution.

valcanale
just joined

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:47 pm

@normis: we received official and written updates from our distributor:

1. Mikrotik didn't communicate to him any serial number of affected CPE's. Our distributor doesn’t know which CPE could be affected by the problem.
2. Mikrotik didn't send any official announcement to our distributor about this problem, neither sent any repair instruction to him.
3. Our distributor didn't receive CPE covers from Mikrotik, confirmed about 3 weeks ago.

this is a serious lack of reliability! We cannot go on like this! We are seriously considering a totally brand change!!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:32 pm

2. We did a check on some installed CPE and we found randomly cracked cover on CPE's bought from April 2017 to some months ago. It's a tragedy.
Please tell me the Serial Number. "Bought" and "manufactured" are different things.

Sales did email Distributors about these things, I have seen these emails.

valcanale
just joined

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 pm

@normis: here some sample serial numbers of broken CPE:

6FD60615E72A
5E9A06AA49A0
6E340726E78C
6E340784D7D5
6E340747F432
6E3407799108
6E3407622B5F
6E34078A464A
6E3407714DA4
6FD6063E74BF

I'm waiting for your feedback.
Thanks in advance

valcanale
just joined

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

@normis: do you have any news?
@normis: here some sample serial numbers of broken CPE:

6FD60615E72A
5E9A06AA49A0
6E340726E78C
6E340784D7D5
6E340747F432
6E3407799108
6E3407622B5F
6E34078A464A
6E3407714DA4
6FD6063E74BF

I'm waiting for your feedback.
Thanks in advance

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Sorry, but none of these are made recently. end of 2016 and early 2017

valcanale
just joined

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm

@normis: are you kidding? What kind of answer is this? We bought something like 500 pieces of these CPE in the last 18 months, and obviously we didn't ask the production date!
As you know which CPE are affected by the problem but our distributor keeps telling us he doesn't receive this information, can I send you all the serials, so you tell me which ones could be broken and which ones are safe?
Sorry, but none of these are made recently. end of 2016 and early 2017

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Time for "Best before sticker" :-(
I have client which sells car components.
We wondered why eg. spark plugs have "Best before date" info and "Production date" as there is nothing what could be expected to detoriate when they are waiting on a shelf packed/sealed/protected by manufacturer.
Now I know why ... warranty.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 am

As you know which CPE are affected by the problem but our distributor keeps telling us he doesn't receive this information, can I send you all the serials, so you tell me which ones could be broken and which ones are safe?
I already said that the issue is fixed in manufacturing recently (meaning this year. there is no specific issue, just improvements made in process and testing). Not all devices will have any issue, even in old batches. There is no specific affected serial list, I don't have that kind of info. I can't tell you how many will or won't have any problem with covers.

If you do have issues, distributors will replace your cover.

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

I already said that the issue is fixed in manufacturing recently (meaning this year. there is no specific issue, just improvements made in process and testing). Not all devices will have any issue, even in old batches. There is no specific affected serial list, I don't have that kind of info. I can't tell you how many will or won't have any problem with covers.

If you do have issues, distributors will replace your cover.
Yes yes Normis ... your colleagues promised to send replacement covers for the first series ... still waiting .. 3 months have passed ... good work

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am

Colleagues? Are you a distributor ?

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 am

Colleagues? Are you a distributor ?
Yes we are distributor, and we have 2 packages old series not open and we ask for change it, but your colleagues give us answer what you send for us palstic for change.

mongobongo

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:03 pm

What a mess!

Fortunately we did not deploy so many of these.

Our situation is as follows,

We are a reseller, we buy from a distributor in our country (Cyprus, EU).

We have received several of these 'broken' in transit.

The cracks are around the edges of the front cover.

Our distributor, wont refund the monies for the items that arrived broken, they say they can only give us a credit note.

Ideally we wanted the units replaced, but they said they cannot guarantee we wont get broken ones.

When I pushed them for more clear information regards the issue, they did not have this information.

The information they gave me sounds like a rehash of information here in this thread, i.e could not guarantee we would not get effected product, could not give me serial numbers that are effected ,could only offer covers, when I asked when we would get the covers they could not give an ETA etc etc.

This stinks.................

I now understand why the distributor only give us 1 year warranty from the invoice date when we purchase the item.

Surprised more people have not posted here regards this

mongobongo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Just came to post the Mikrotik dont care about this issue and have no respect for the end user, reseller and most importantly for themselves.

This conclusion has come from the email correspondence I have had with support regarding these.

Way to go Mikrotik ...........

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Indeed.

wojtekc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 am

Continuation of damaged antennas... thanks Mikrotik :/

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 am

We send at least one piece each week to the complaint

wojtekc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:47 am

Unfortunately, the distributor claims that the warranty is over.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:27 pm

2019 antennas still a piece of crap

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 pm

It is sad. I have to confirm that this is true, we have the same problem on DISCs AC

dadoremix
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:55 pm

That is good
Check mine 2x
After 12m of usage

Bad support also here in croatia

Now, i check antena for 8-9m of work, buy another one and send back to mikrotik reseler.

mikemtb
just joined

Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:45 pm

same here. 2 units bought at the end of 2018 , the one still in its original package!! wanted to use it before christmas, and it was cracked!
returnet to local distributor, said ''out of warranty''...
of course...
i didnt know then, something about repair kit etc...

mikemtb
just joined

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:15 pm

same here. 2 units bought at the end of 2018 , the one still in its original package!! wanted to use it before christmas, and it was cracked!
returnet to local distributor, said ''out of warranty''...
of course...
i didnt know then, something about repair kit etc...
good news!! my Local distributor (HELLASDIGITAL), sent me a repair kit (cover) free of charge, and i finaly replaced the broken one.
thank you a lot!!