Community discussions

MikroTik App

nikkosz
just joined
Topic Author

Issues with L2TP tunnel on R OS v7

Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:30 pm

Hey there.

So back to the begging. I have RB4011 currently running ROS v6 (to be more specific 6.49.4). I have just one L2TP tunnel from my work (one of my local machines run on company addreses)
The config is as default as it gets - nothing fancy. The L2TP server is running ROS 6.43.12 and that's a company router.

Now to the todays issuse I had. I upgraded my RB4011 to ros v7 (stable 7.1.3), firmware as well. And I noticed that the tunnel isn't running, looking by logs it runs for a 30 seconds even gets the IP and then just dies off, tries to reconnect endlessly. Was checking the config and it was alright. Even went ahead - wiped it all and configuring it back again. Didn't help either. Only downgrading back to 6.49.4 works without doing anything...

Does someone have an idea on what's goin' on?

oberdansoares
just joined

Re: Issues with L2TP tunnel on R OS v7

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm

I have the same problem but I have 80 clients connected with l2tp and only 2 after the update started to present the same symptom, if I downgrade I have no problems, I'm using the ccr1009

nikkosz
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:15 am

yea - that's strange because the config remains the same and if we will upgrade our core router hundreds of L2TP clients will just die off.

Gonna test it out on vm's i guess - because it seems like the issue is with implementation of L2TPv2 in v6 vs v7. Perhaps with implementation of L2TPv3 something changed with v2 as well
And that's why we have some serious issues.

nikkosz
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:43 pm

So yea - kinda found my problem
From what I can see is that bridge (which is for l2tp and eth10) had an DHCP client for getting remote management.
It get's the IP but after couple of seconds it disconnects, but after disabling DHCP client on that bridge everything goes back to normal - the machine gets the IP.

So exact config is:
- L2TPv2 tunnel connected to my company
- bridge which bridges L2TP tunnel and one of the ports on RB4011
- DHCP client on bridge for second IP address.

So the problem was the DHCP client on the bridge itself. Wonder why to be honest. Because it get's the IP but couple of seconds later it just dies off - shouldn't do it right?

Can we get devs here??

Best regards

nikkosz

nikkosz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 am

Was digging even more so I'm sorry that's gonna be post after post

But I managed to find a sollution to my problem.
Remember that I've got DHCP Client on the bridge that uses L2TP right?
I got that DHCP Client to work.
By default there's an option choosen called "Add Default Route" and it's been set to "yes" by default.

So getting it to "no" got my tunnel into working order. I don't exactly know what would cause such a problem but well. At least I solved it my self

Thanks to eveyone that was looking forward to the solution.

Best regards.

nikkosz

nikkosz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:49 pm

Well I have spoken too soon - the traffic between a PC and the tunnel wasn't going through