Community discussions

MikroTik App

gunz
just joined
Topic Author

wAP ac LTE as WiFi extender

Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:10 pm

Hello,

I would like to ask if wAP AC LTE will be suitable for my use-case. I would like to use it as 'travel router' which I will use to connect to my company VPN. The device should be able to:
1. Connect to any public wifi and and extend it through second WiFi band with VPN as default gateway. For example: Using 2.4ghz as client and 5ghz band as extender and route all traffic through vpn.
2. Connect to LTE -> VPN -> default gateway through VPN. (if public wifi is not available)

I am not sure if it's able to be used as 'WiFi extender'. Can someone confirm that? Thanks!!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP ac LTE as WiFi extender

Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:19 pm

It can be used as wifi extender. Connect one WLAN interface or LTE interface to an internet providing network.
Create the VPN as needed.
The other WLAN (and also a virtual WLAN on the connected radio) can be an AP (with your own security settings)
The WLAN interconnection is either bridged (repeater setup) or is a routed/NAT/masqueraded.
(Because the ISP wifi is not allowing MT-bridge , either station-pseudobridge (for the repeater setup) or station mode with NAT should be used.)
LTE can be set as automatic failover for the wifi connection.

I'm doing similar things with a mAP Lite (very small, USB power (bank), single radio, no LTE)
By setting all possible known SSID (and security ) in the connection list, the Mikrotik will scan that list and connect on the first match.
ISP with Enterprise (PEAP, Dot1X, Radius, username/password) security cannot be given by the client through this setup.
The MT must and can do that authentication. Your own AP has the authentication setting you want.