Community discussions

MikroTik App

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MikrotTik and Event Networks

Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:24 am

So i have been doing events now for a few years but mainly using Ubiquiti Edge Routers and Cisco 2960s. And for the most part they have been great and Im Really comfortable with them. But the thing is that they are limited in ability and the shows are getting bigger and bigger. I did invest in a big box pfsense router from Netgate for about 3k. And really i must say that i do love it and it is really easy to use. But a friend told me that really it is just a firewall and not a router. (8 core 16 cpu with 32 gigs of ram with (2) 10 gig interfaces) so at least its a pretty beefy firewall that can also route. I started trying our the Mikrotik CRS3XX series of switches and using the Bridge Hardware offlload configuration approach and i absoluely love them. They can handle pretty much anything that is thrown at them. What ill miss that the cisco switches did amazingly tho was the cable test with tdr (tells you the length of the cable and basically where the problem will be, havent been able to do that with the ethernet Mikrotik) and another things was "ip device tracking" being able to know the ips of the devices connected to the switch even tho the switch had nothing to do with the routing of the connected devices.
BUT these are older 2960s and they just dont have the 10 gig interfaces and the flexible POE. Sorry for the rant..

Even tho I just invested all this money into the Netgate (pfsense) I wonder, would if i would still benefit with getting maybe a ccr2004 to handle the routing. Because I pretty much want this network to be able to handle 10k connections or more to the internet. I always fight for as many publics as possible for the natting. I wonder tho. How good would the CCR2004 be at handling a TON of dhcp request fast. These festival loads up with people quick.

Also would incorporating the Pfsense box be doable as far as maybe firewalling, OR would the mikro ccr still be responsible for that.

Wondering what strengths of the pfsense vs the stregths of the mikrotik are and how to use them both properly

Any insight or just dialog about this would be greatly appreciated.