Community discussions

MikroTik App

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless bridge with Cisco switches

Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:02 pm

Below is the port config I use to connect switch A to switch B. I am trying to remove the wire connection and use the Mikrotik devices between the two switches as a wireless wire connection. When I plugged them into the Cisco switch port the port would go into suspended mode.

SWITCH A (LOCAL SWITCH)

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16
description *** Uplink to hardin-northern-tra-2960x-2 ***
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode trunk
srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
queue-set 2
priority-queue out
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
mls qos trust cos
macro description cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone | cisco-phone
auto qos voip cisco-phone
spanning-tree portfast trunk
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
channel-group 2 mode active
service-policy input AutoQoS-Police-CiscoPhone
ip dhcp snooping trust

SWITCH B (REMOTE SWITCH)

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23
description *** Uplink to hardin-northern-tra-2960x-3 ***
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
ip dhcp snooping trust

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless bridge with Cisco switches

Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:19 pm

Why do we care about Cisco annotation?
State the requirements without mention of Crisco.

AKA. I have group of user/device or single users/devices that need to do X,Y but not Z.
Or I have 10 vlans that need to traverse from switch A to switch B through a MT device.

Further your network diagram is horrible. ;-) And Badly needed!!! to have context on where main router is, where internet is etc............
Assuming you have two MT devices (which model is also missing information), and each will wire into one of the Crisco and communicate wirelessly between them.

Thus you need to know how to setup the devices to send VLANs back and forth.
An additional question, is this a one way control path, IE MASTER ROUTER to switch1 through WIFI link to switch2?

In other words will the admin config switch 2, through this connection?? Are the vlans and dhcp configured on the MASTER ROUTER....... etc.......

I hope that helps.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:03 am

@bpwl for this thread..............
For a wireless wire type connection between two switches, I am presuming there is not much different on the
mechanics of the configuration in terms of passing VLANS and trusted subnet etc................ but I wonder what mode and submodes.......

Its not one flat network being passed but lets say X number of vlans and possiby VOIP traffic to make it interesting.
MODE QUICKSET:
---> ptp CPE at one device (connected to main router) and ptp AP at the other switch
OR
---> Wisp AP at both.

Since i have no clue on the difference between Station Mode and AP mode, its not clear how to proceed.

Bridge Mode = Access Point Wifi that will only associate with one client.
Station Mode = Client Wifi that will only associate with any acceptable AP

WDS Slave Mode = Access Point Wifi like AP bridge, scans for same SSID on clients and uses WDS link.
Station WDS = Same as Station but creates proprietary WDS link to AP

WIFI WIRELESS MODES:
1. bridge at switch1 & station at switch 2 (limits connectivity to one client for the AP - hopefully via SSID?)
OR
2. WDS Slave at switch 1 & Station WDS at switch2

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ignoring Station Bridge (mode) as its not understood and hopefully not needed.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:28 am

Unfortunately, wireless bridges are usually far from transparent w.r.t. VLAN traffic. I have had lots of issues with that.
(but no experience with the "wireless wire")
Show the config of the wireless wire, especially the bridge, ethernet and wireless interfaces.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:00 am

From BPWL:
So combining 2 switches with a wifi link: use "AP bridge" (or "bridge" for a licence level 3) mode on one side , and use "Station bridge" on the other side of the wifi link.
The chain is : 'switch' - ether - ROS bridge -WLAN "AP bridge" - WLAN "station bridge" - ROS bridge - ether - 'switch2'.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:46 pm

Below is the port config I use to connect switch A to switch B. I am trying to remove the wire connection and use the Mikrotik devices between the two switches as a wireless wire connection. When I plugged them into the Cisco switch port the port would go into suspended mode.
It would help if you specify which MikroTik devices you are using.

This thread Vlan passtrough on Wireless Wire cube claims that the Wireless Wire is vlan transparent.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:32 pm

I wonder how well that was tested... I have experience with link equipment from the competitor and while initially it seems that VLANs pass over the link unmodified, actually it maintains some form of proxy arp table which gets confused when two VLANs transport the same IP space.
I would not be surprised when there are similar issues with the Wireless Wire, as these seem to be embedded in the 802.11 protocol.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Mikrotik wAP 60G AP, RBwAPG-60ad-A at each end. Attached is a PDF of config screenshots.

To setup I connected a PC and both APs to a hub. Once the bridge looked configured and connected. I plugged it into the network. The master bridge side suspends the cisco switchport.

Bridge config process
  • I reset each devices config to no default config
  • Created a bridge
  • Assigned ip address to bridge in the management vlan ip range
  • Config wireless: CPE is set to station bridge mode, master is set to bridge mode (only difference for each device setup besides ip address)
Once I did this the devices connected. I unplugged from hub and connected to switches on production LAN. Master bridge device suspended port on lan switch.

Network Info
DHCP is handled by a Windows DHCP server. There are several VLANS. Router points clients to server using ip helper-address.

Project
Install network in a remote location a couple hundred feet away from an IDF - security cameras and wireless APs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:50 pm

Please use /export hide-sensitive file=name to put config in a file and put that in a </> section here.
Screenshots often do not include essential information.
E.g. how is the STP setup on your bridges? Try setting it to "none".

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:13 pm

STP was set to RSTP. Now it's set to none. This still suspends the switchport. Configs of each device attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Then what happens that causes this? Nothing in the log?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Those configs will not pass any traffic. Use the factory default configuration, just change the IP address, plus SSID & password if desired.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pm

Switch log
Mar 18 11:07:47.807: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/16: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Mar 18 11:07:48.845: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi1/0/16: Power granted
Mar 18 11:07:55.064: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16, changed state to up
Mar 18 11:08:04.263: %EC-5-L3DONTBNDL2: Gi1/0/16 suspended: LACP currently not enabled on the remote port.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:14 pm

Ok apparently it expects LACP.
Try to remove the config for QOS and Phone from the switch (make it the same as the remote).

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:03 pm

When I removed the channel-group from the switchport the port enabled. I also removed the channel-group from the remote switchport. I cannot ping the bridge master, bridge slave, or remote switch.

Configs now look like this.

SWITCH A
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16
description *** Uplink to Switch A ***
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode trunk
ip dhcp snooping trust
end

SWITCH B
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23
description *** Uplink to Switch B ***
switchport mode trunk
ip dhcp snooping trust

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Well, when the config (.rsc files) you posted earlier was indeed the full config of the devices, that is not surprising.
Or was this only a selective part cut and paste from the real config file?
When not, you need to reset the devices to defaults as also mentioned by tdw. The config is incomplete (no bridge ports, for example).

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:10 pm

I added an ether and wlan port to each device. Attached are updated configs. What do I need to make this a transparent wireless wire config?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 pm

It should be sufficient to reset the units to factory defaults.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:40 pm

Before configuring I went to WinBox/System/Reset Configuration/No Default Configuration
Is this what you mean?

These units were not purchased as a wireless wire kit.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:16 pm

Ok in that case you should be able to use the Quick Set "default config generator" by selecting "PTP bridge AP" in one unit and "PTP bridge CPE" in the other, that
should at least setup the proper wireless and bridge settings. You will have to specify the way you want to assign an IP address to the devices (DHCP, static),
and set the password (both the admin password and the WiFi WPA2 password). Other than that, there should not be much to setup, only watch that it
does not apply an overly restrictive firewall (allowing access to the management interface only from ethernet, for example).
While tinkering with this, make sure you use winbox and connect via MAC, not via IP, because that makes you lose the connection every time you reset the
configuration and changing something in the IP setup.
I presume you now have the two units side by side in an office, and the switches as well.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:27 pm

Does Quickset handle W60G interfaces correctly? The configuration is much different to regular 2.4/5GHz WLAN interfaces.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless bridge with Cisco switches  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:25 pm

From some old configs, AP:
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 ssid=HN-PtP-01 put-stations-in-bridge=bridge
/interface w60g station
add mac-address=48:8F:5A:DA:9F:33 name=wlan60-station-1 parent=wlan60-1 remote-address=48:8F:5A:DA:9D:F1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1

/ip address
add address=10.55.5.60/24 interface=bridge1 network=10.55.5.0

Station:
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=48:8F:5A:DA:9D:F0 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge protocol-mode=none
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no isolate-stations=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 put-stations-in-bridge=bridge ssid=HN-PtP-01
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan60-1
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.61/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=10.55.5.0

and with protocol-mode=none the normal 802.1D bridge behaviour is disabled so the link will pass LACP, LLDP, etc.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:30 pm

From BPWL:
So combining 2 switches with a wifi link: use "AP bridge" mode on one side , and use "Station bridge" on the other side of the wifi link.

Setting this up seems simple and the devices show a status of connected in WinBox, but once I plug them into the production network I can no longer see them and I cannot ping the switch or other devices at the remote location.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm

From some old configs, AP:
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 ssid=HN-PtP-01 put-stations-in-bridge=bridge
/interface w60g station
add mac-address=48:8F:5A:DA:9F:33 name=wlan60-station-1 parent=wlan60-1 remote-address=48:8F:5A:DA:9D:F1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1

/ip address
add address=10.55.5.60/24 interface=bridge1 network=10.55.5.0

Station:
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=48:8F:5A:DA:9D:F0 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge protocol-mode=none
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no isolate-stations=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 put-stations-in-bridge=bridge ssid=HN-PtP-01
/interface bridge port
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.61/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=10.55.5.0

and with protocol-mode=none the normal 802.1D bridge behaviour is disabled so the link will pass LACP, LLDP, etc.
After factory resetting the devices and entering these commands I can no longer connect to these devices in WinBox. It either tells me wrong password or cannot connect. I also tried legacy mode.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 pm

An established wireless connection is only part of process, the bridges are required to complete the path ethernet === bridge === wireless ----- wireless === bridge === ethernet.

You could have modified the existing configurations rather than resetting the devices. If they are individual devices they should have a blank password after reset, if they were part of a wireless wire kit they may have a password which as far as I can recall is on an additional label.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Is there a setting within WinBox that will allow me to verify that each device is configured to pass VLAN tags?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:57 pm

If the bridge has vlan-filtering=no (doesn't appear in /export as it is the default) it will transparently pass any tags

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:04 pm

Do I need to do anything else with VLANs besides vlan-filtering=no? ...like a management VLAN or a VLAN table?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:01 pm

By default management access will be untagged, as in your original configuration:
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.61/24 interface=bridge network=10.55.5.0

If you require management access to be tagged a VLAN interface is also required, for example to use VLAN 60:
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge name=vlan60 vlan-id=60
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.61/24 interface=vlan60 network=10.55.5.0

To access from outside the management subnet you will need to add a default gateway:
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=YOUR_GATEWAY_ADDRESS

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Progress. I can ping the bridge AP from a client plugged into the bridge AP switch. However, I cannot ping the bridge station or bridge station switch. A client plugged into the bridge station switch does not get assigned an IP address. When I manually configure network settings on this client it does not have connectivity - cannot ping bridge station, dns, gateway, etc. These features work when the wireless bridge is replaced with a wire.

Attached are configs. What am I missing?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:24 pm

You have not configured the AP settings as suggested previously. Until the wireless link is established and you can ping the station from the AP there is absolutely no point in trying to connect clients beyond the station. It may be worth setting a password for the wireless link, I don't know how w60g interfaces behave without one being explicitly set.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:34 pm

More progress! The bridge devices are passing VLAN tags. However, I cannot ping or remote (WinBox) into either MikroTik device via IP or Mac. I can ping the station switch. Devices on the station switch are receiving IP config settings and are able to see the rest of the network on their own vlans. I can't get the config out to post because I can't access the devices. Below are the commands I enter. Once I enter these commands the devices are not accessible from production or hub network. I use the hub network to setup the devices. When I plug them into my hub (non production network) I can see the devices in WinBox (screenshot attached), but I cannot connect.

Before configuring with the commands below I wipe the config and create an admin password for each device

Bridge AP 48:8F:5A:DA:9F:32:
/interface bridge
add name=bridge protocol-mode=none
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge name=MGMT vlan-id=30
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.60/24 interface=MGMT network=10.55.5.0
/interface bridge
set bridge vlan-filtering=no
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=10.55.5.1
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 ssid=HN-PtP-01 put-stations-in-bridge=bridge isolate-stations=no
/interface w60g station

Bridge Station 48:8F:5A:DA:9D:F0:
/interface bridge
/interface bridge port
/ip address
add address=10.55.5.61/24 comment=defconf interface=MGMT network=10.55.5.0
/interface bridge
set bridge vlan-filtering=no
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=10.55.5.1
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 ssid=HN-PtP-01

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:07 pm

If those are the exact configs you entered on the devices there is a line missing in the station:
/interface vlan

without this the subsequent add will fail and there is no management interface to apply an IP address to.

MAC Winbox should connect. Does the connection timeout or does it say the password is incorrect?
Neighbours in Winbox will show the untagged information sent by devices, as there is no untagged IP address it shows 0.0.0.0. For the AP you should be able to enter the address manually in Winbox to connect assuming your PC has a route to the 10.55.5.0/24 subnet.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Okay. It looks like it's fixed now. Attached are updated configs. Everything look right? Any recommendations? If I were to add a couple of more station APs and make a PtMP network would I use the same station config and modify the MAC and IP?

I had the following on the station.
/interface bridge port
add interface=bridge name=MGMT vlan-id=10
instead of
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge name=MGMT vlan-id=10

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:34 pm

Check that the w60g interface region and channel are set for your regulatory requirements. You may wish to disable unused services and/or restrict access via your management VLAN, unless that is handled elsewhere. Newer firmware will have improvements, and various vulnerabilities are discovered in the firmware from time to time - currently there do not appear to be any not addressed by 6.47.10, the current LTS 6.48.6 or stable 6.49.5.

Additional stations are added automatically to the AP configuration on connection. See https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... tupexample regarding license levels, AP mode, distance and beam pattern. You could either turn off the fixed bridge mac address with auto-mac=yes, otherwise you could pick the lowest MAC address or choose a random one with the LAA bit set on each device when configuring it.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 pm

This is great! I appreciate it. Thank you for your time and through input.

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm

I have one last question. From what I understand this equipment has the capability to fail-over on 5GHz. What is required to enable this feature?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:16 pm

Only the newer products have additional 5GHz radios - Cube 60G ac / Wireless Wire Cube, Cube 60Pro ac / Wireless Wire Cube Pro and CubeSA 60Pro ac

ajcke
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:03 pm

These have been installed for a few weeks now. I get intermittent packet loss on clear days. Sometimes as much as 33%, but usually a lot less. I'm going to check the alignment, but are there any settings that will help like country code, a static frequency, etc?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Region should be set to comply with your country regulations, higher frequencies are generally better although from comments in the forum there have been issues with the uppermost available. Alignment on LHG and nRAY is critical (better than 1 degree), less so on Cube, and fairly relaxed on wAP 60G (upto 20 degrees).

Packet loss is unusual given the available bandwidth, they tend to work until the link drops which gives 100% loss.