Community discussions

MikroTik App

almeiras
Topic Author

Help modding RB4011

Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:41 pm

Hello everyone. I know that MikroTik is a nice company, so, as a redditor suggested, I'm going to ask this in this official forum. Here goes nothing: I own a non-WiFi version of the RB4011. So far I am very happy with my router but I long for wireless connectivity and more storage for the upcoming "Container" (Docker).

When I unscrewed my router I found it to be lacking the mPCIe slots and some components. So... I decided to put them on my own. Hope you guys are not mad at me...

I wrote three pieces in reddit: The thing is, I successfully got to work an NVME SSD, but I had no luck with my QCA9884. I guess the problem comes from the pins in the bottom side (1.5V, W_DISABLE, PERST#, and 3.3V). There are some pads there, but I don't know what to put. I tried some pull-ups as you can see in the third link. Would you kindly help me?

Thank you very much.

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Help modding RB4011

Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted =)
Last edited by fragtion on Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Help modding RB4011

Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:52 am

I would expect non-supported HW to just not work, but I see no reason why R11E would not work. ROS does have drivers for it, it works on other ARM boards, you can see it in PCI devices list.... weird.
From my ROS analysis I haven't seen any signs of hardware whitelist of allowed cards for different platforms. As long as there is kernel module for it and PCI ID matches, it should be loaded.
You can get some more info by decoding autosupout.rif as it includes more debug info and also kernel log. Maybe you will find some clues there..
I tried similar thing with RB800, used PCI-E riser and tried various cards, but had almost no luck (I hoped to get at least USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cards working, but not even that worked).
Only "Frankenstein" thing that worked was putting Atheros MiniPCI in PCI to PCI-E converter and then PCI-E to MiniPCI-E riser into RBM11G... was detected and usable as WIFI interface :)