Community discussions

MikroTik App

internetolog
just joined
Topic Author

ESXi SR-IOV Mellanox Driver doesn't work.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:05 am

Mellanox SR-IOV Passthrough under ESXi doesn't show up on interfaces even if all Intel SR-IOV passthrough works.
I would love to test the 40Gbps and 100Gbps throughout.
If any way or update, just let me know :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

expo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: ESXi SR-IOV Mellanox Driver doesn't work.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:19 am

I'm not sure I understand your post but if you are trying to use PCI pass through function with router OS version 6 most likely it will not work unless you are using a very old card that has supported drivers. Ros V7 works better for this but is not production ready. You can use vxmnet3 instead of PCI passthru and make it work!

internetolog
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:04 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Even if with passthrough or SR-IOV or bare metal, or with v6 or v7 it does not matter.
MT2770 drivers which are Mellanox Connectx-4 series 40G and 100G cards are not showing up in interfaces.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:05 pm

IB or ETH?

About 7-8 years ago we tested a number of different CX4 40Gbs (IB/FDR) on ESXi and only a few modells worked fine. There are a lot of different versions of CX4 out on the market for OEM, "black box appliances" and for direct sales. More precisely, which model are you testing?

Anyway, since then we have upgraded the customer to CX5 100Gbs (IB/EDR) which we also tested in our lab before we put it into production and had the same issues with different versions as with CX4.

Fyi - nowadays, there are a lot of affordable CX4 and IB switches on the market for building fast 40Gbs RDMA networks.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:58 am

Fyi, this only works for certain CX4 models with matching fw. Some modells can be re-branded to meet the requrements by flashing the fw. Check out the Mellanox forums for more details.