Community discussions

MikroTik App

darxis
just joined
Topic Author

ROSv7 RIP Interface Key Chain vs Password difference

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:56 pm

In RIP Interface what is the difference between "Key Chain" and "Password"? I can't find in the docs.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ROSv7 RIP Interface Key Chain vs Password difference

Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:23 pm

In RIP Interface what is the difference between "Key Chain" and "Password"? I can't find in the docs.

I don't see "Password" in WinBox or in the docs — old and new — but I do see Keys and Chains. Are you getting your terminology wrong, or do you in fact see "Password" somewhere?

I don't use RIP myself, but after a quick skim of a useful-looking howto, it looks like you put one or more of these keys into a chain, then tell the interface which chain to use for authentication.

RIP is arguably obsolete, even in its v2 form

darxis
just joined
Topic Author

Re: ROSv7 RIP Interface Key Chain vs Password difference

Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:28 pm

I don't see "Password" in WinBox or in the docs — old and new — but I do see Keys and Chains. Are you getting your terminology wrong, or do you in fact see "Password" somewhere?

I don't use RIP myself, but after a quick skim of a useful-looking howto, it looks like you put one or more of these keys into a chain, then tell the interface which chain to use for authentication.

RIP is arguably obsolete, even in its v2 form
There is a "Password" field in WinBox, I am using RouterOS v7.2.

I have a home network with 3 subnets, I tried using a very basic OSPF but I had problems with packet drops and decided to use the simplified RIP. I think I may have misconfigured my OSPF and the CPU was peeking 100% sometimes and that's why packets got dropped.
mt_rip.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.