Community discussions

MikroTik App

robepf31
just joined
Topic Author

hAPac2 as Wireless Network Bridge

Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 pm

I am having difficulty trying to se up a hAPac2 as a wireless bridge. I'm certain I've done this in the past, but I can't find any saved .rsc files that I usually export from every device config I do, so I may only be remembering the various hotel bridge configs I have used that have routing functions, typically on a hAPac or mAP lite. I've read quite a few posts, and then had to create a new login as it seems my old login must have been deactivated as I haven't been logged in quite a while, but I'm not new to the forum.

I want to connect to an existing wifi network, and have devices connected to the ether ports get their dhcp address from the main network. I have a hAPac at home as my main wifi AP (with a HEX for a router), and I am able to make the hAPac2 work as I want when connecting to the hAPac, using the config as follows:

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=\
profile1 supplicant-identity="" wpa2-pre-shared-key=*KEY*
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n disabled=no frequency=auto \
mode=station-bridge security-profile=profile1 ssid=*SSID* \
wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1

With this the bridge gets it's IP address, and I can see that my laptop connected via an ether port to the hAPac2 gets an IP address from the HEX. So it works fine connecting to another Mikrotik it seems. When I try to connect to a different network (Ruckus AP, RB4011 router), I get an IP on the bridge, but cannot get an ether connected device to get an IP. I've tried ap-bridge, ap-pseudobridge, and a host of other stabs in the dark.

Is there something about the device or an obvious setting that I am missing that is preventing a connection? I'm hoping to use the hAPac2 as a bridge for a couple of components where running an ethernet cable is not feasible.

Thanks for any help.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAPac2 as Wireless Network Bridge

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:08 pm

Station-bridge is a proprietary Mikrotik mode that will not work with non-Mikrotik devices. In "station-bridge" you get essentially a transparent bridge but this doesn't work with non-mikrotik hardware.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:11 pm

station-pseudobridge should do.

See here:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:12 am

Pdanger???

Ruckus uses directed DHCP.

Buy an H510 and move on.

Betty956
just joined

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:24 am

Looks like that did get the modem/router and hAP AC2 connected. I confirmed by looking at the device list on the modem/router and finding the MAC of the hAP AC2. My device attached by ethernet to the hAP AC2 was not getting an address assigned, but I was able to make a static address and get a connected. Would setting up a DHCP Relay and pointing it to wlan1 help this?
Last edited by rextended on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Prevent subsequent changes to add links.

robepf31
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:48 pm

Pdanger???

Buy an H510 and move on.

Hey, yes it is. H510 as a bridge you're saying? Was trying to bridge something on the cheap for a family member.

See here:

Ok, yes, I thought I remembered one of the modes was a Mikrotik thing, obviously that's why it connected nicely to the hAPac.

Thanks all for the replies.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:27 pm

Pdanger???

Buy an H510 and move on.

Hey, yes it is. H510 as a bridge you're saying? Was trying to bridge something on the cheap for a family member.

See here:

Ok, yes, I thought I remembered one of the modes was a Mikrotik thing, obviously that's why it connected nicely to the hAPac.

Thanks all for the replies.
Directed DHCP specifically RESTRICTS multiple IPs going to one device. Like the Virtual Machine on a MAC. Or the devices connected to "repeaters".

Turn off Directed DHCP... which ain't as easy as it used to be in ZD... or... buy the H510 and join it to your unleashed network YOU CHEAP MF!!!
(Welcome to the forum BTW.)