Community discussions

MikroTik App

jkohan
Topic Author

High Cpu load CCR1036.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:25 am

Hello.
We have a CCR1036-8G-2S+ and are seeing high cpu load (about 78%, increasing). PPPoE service is elsewhere (several CCRs).
It is a BGP router with a link to Internet of 6Gbps, firewall, OSPF and... 500+ PCC nat (we have about 7000 users and only a /22 so have to share then between them)
Profiling show almost all the cpu use is in firewall and networking (OSPF is well configured, mostly for fixed IPs, only 44 routes in 1 interface):
Should I think the problem is with nat ? Would be better to use less IPs (and so less PCCs) to lower the load ?
Anything else to check ?

Thanks

Javier

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: High Cpu load CCR1036.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 pm

check using tools profile (on winbox) or /tool profile on console to see the sources of load inside the system

jkohan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:19 pm

check using tools profile (on winbox) or /tool profile on console to see the sources of load inside the system
Mostly firewall and networking. The rest is practically 0. We don´t do traffic shaping on this router. Only NAT (500PCC), BGP, OSPF and firewall.
Is it that the CCR reached its full capacity ? What´s the next upgrade for the long term in this case ? Routeros on a CHR or X86 on a big server ? We have only one carrier, so cannot split there. Maybe do NAT elsewhere if that is the problem.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:16 am

how much bandwidth pass across that ccr1036 doing that work ?

i think to escalate is better to segregate network functions in separate machines

this presentation of Kevin Myers from IP ArchiTechs explain it better than i will ever do

https://iparchitechs.com/presentations/ ... ebinar.pdf