Community discussions

MikroTik App

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac^2 Problems---Extremely Poor Performance found in 2.4G and 5G WiFi

Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:38 am

My Audience with WAVE 2 drivers on it is performing almost as well as other manufactures did with ACv2... in 2016.

It can't work with caps-man. So its configured standalone and it lights up the whole house with all 3 radios taking clients.

For the first time ever... 2.4Ghz clients are staying connected in this noisy environment. The time outs are under 20 seconds now. So I stopped getting alerts every couple hours.

dazford
just joined

Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 am

I have WLAN1 (2.4Ghz) and WLAN2 (5Ghz) and even though both are enabled, only 1 can be connected to or even seen, depending on the how the stars are lined up and where every planet is situated and if the moon is visible or not, and the other comes up with an error saying it cannot connect.
I bet you can see 2.4GHz , not the 5 GHZ. And that is because of the settings (out of the box) that are a mismatch with your needs.
5 GHz need the correct country to be set (channels differ greatly per regulatory domain), the freq selection must be done (auto freq has no clue and is unpredictable), be aware of DFS rules requiring 1 minute and for some channels 10 minutes of total silence , be aware of the channel limitations of the client device (some only support the 4 lower channels), some devices still insist on using TKIP and to pass to adjacent rooms the default 80MHz channel width is the weakest choice possible.

Yes other brands are auto-adjusting the parameters and are preconfigured for the regulatory domain of the destination. Their auto freq selection is better, and they have DFS prescan avoiding radio silence, WMM is enabled , they use airtime fairness, have better roaming support (QBSS info, band steering), do not use the smallest buffers of the802.11ac standard, they may even have beam forming .... . But besides that the MT AP can be used if manually set correctly. Test in standalone mode. Adding CAPsMAN is adding another layer of complexity with new functions but also new limitations.
Sadly I do have the correct country set and tried auto and manual frequencies and all tests were done in standalone mode. Many settings were tried with multiple security types and even multiple security policies for each WLAN. Bands, channel widths, DFS on/off, Alternate countries, indoor/outdoor, WMM on/off, TX Power, etc etc but nothing made a difference and I am waiting for support to get back to me but that won't be until mid January at this point due to the Christmas holidays.

This was purchased as a test device that I wanted to have the configuration correct to setup VPN's with other sites and setting their current devices, whatever they may be, to be in bridge mode only which would then render the wireless on there existing devices to be turned off. With all the different types of internet connections we have here and different modem interfaces, this would be the easiest way to connect the sites together but WiFi is a must and having to buy now a 3rd device just for WiFi is ridiculous when it should work with just the device I purchased.

I ended up purchasing Cisco gear for home as previous tests with so called SMB products such as Mikrotik, Ubiquiti and even Edimax that are meant to be the cheaper SMB products were all worse than basic home grade products. However some of the home grade products have issues with handoff in larger areas where multiple devices are needed, which was also the case with the SMB products funnily enough, so I went Cisco for my house and have good speeds and flawless handoff. It would be nice for a product that claims to be great and have all these features to actually work when it comes to the simple things these devices are meant to be capable of.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:22 am

I have WLAN1 (2.4Ghz) and WLAN2 (5Ghz) and even though both are enabled, only 1 can be connected to or even seen, depending on the how the stars are lined up and where every planet is situated and if the moon is visible or not, and the other comes up with an error saying it cannot connect.
Very unlikely combination with this ....
Sadly I do have the correct country set and tried auto and manual frequencies and all tests were done in standalone mode. Many settings were tried with multiple security types and even multiple security policies for each WLAN. Bands, channel widths, DFS on/off, Alternate countries, indoor/outdoor, WMM on/off, TX Power, etc etc but nothing made a difference
DFS cannot be turned OFF, installation should be "any" not indoor or outdoor,
.... and don't copy "tuned configs" from others. They work excellent for that environment, buy every tuning setting has a negative impact and should not be set if it was not absolutly needed.
You might share your "non working" config (/export hide-sensitive file=anyfilename) , and the info in the log (with Logging Topics=wireless enabled) and what is in the registration table.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:50 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have just purchased a Hap AC3 with the external antennas and it still has all the same problems that existed from 3-4 years ago.
Sorry you only have yourself to blame, especially because you have prior experience. Most first time users tend to buy blindly and although they do they talk to friends, check out youtube, check out reviews we tend NOT TO CHECK OUT the biggie, the most IMPORTANT SOURCE, and by that I mean visit support forums to get a lay of the land --> well until they have bought the product and run into problem. So yes, the first time user gets a break but not afterwards.

No one here I know of with their head screwed on straight is recommending FOR A WIFI focussed requirement, wifi5 from MT. Granted their newer products hapac3, audience etc seem to be a less proprietary product and have better functionality (speed and stability) then the older wifi5 devices, but they do still have some issues.
BPWL is best suited, tracks this stuff closely, to state whether the hacac3/audience are indeed as good as other vendor wifi5 products and if better than older mt wifi5.

In any case, any moron that buys WIFI5, when there are now cost effective wifi6 options out there, is beyond help. The only reason to stick with MT wifi is twofold.
a. un paralleled flexibility of the RoS firmware
b. amazing capsman controller for those with many many wifi device.

Hence there are many here begging MT to provide some wifi6/6E etc RoS capsman capable devices!!!! ASAP!!!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have just purchased a Hap AC3 with the external antennas and it still has all the same problems that existed from 3-4 years ago.
Sorry you only have yourself to blame, especially because you have prior experience. Most first time users tend to buy blindly and although they do they talk to friends, check out youtube, check out reviews we tend NOT TO CHECK OUT the biggie, the most IMPORTANT SOURCE, and by that I mean visit support forums to get a lay of the land --> well until they have bought the product and run into problem. So yes, the first time user gets a break but not afterwards.

No one here I know of with their head screwed on straight is recommending FOR A WIFI focussed requirement, wifi5 from MT. Granted their newer products hapac3, audience etc seem to be a less proprietary product and have better functionality (speed and stability) then the older wifi5 devices, but they do still have some issues.
BPWL is best suited, tracks this stuff closely, to state whether the hacac3/audience are indeed as good as other vendor wifi5 products and if better than older mt wifi5.

In any case, any moron that buys WIFI5, when there are now cost effective wifi6 options out there, is beyond help. The only reason to stick with MT wifi is twofold.
a. un paralleled flexibility of the RoS firmware
b. amazing capsman controller for those with many many wifi device.

Hence there are many here begging MT to provide some wifi6/6E etc RoS capsman capable devices!!!! ASAP!!!
Begging is getting me nowhere...