Community discussions

MikroTik App

Chavell3
just joined
Topic Author

CRS312 performance measurements from website

Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:31 pm

Hi,

can somebody tell me, if those performance measurements have been done with RouterOS(Ethernet test results) or SwOS(Switching results).
or would it only mean that with either OS I'm running, if nothing is routed I can get the full Switching performance?
Screenshot 2022-04-19 142509.png
Somewhere I've seen some picture, that with RouterOS the data processing is going through the CPU, instead when using SwOS the transfer is going to be handled directly from the Switch-Chip.
The picture was similiar to that one...
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/CRS31 ... 190703.png

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS312 performance measurements from website

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:14 pm

CRS3xx devices running ROS, if properly configured, offload L2 functions to switch chip, so performance is identical to performance under SwOS. There might be some bridge functions that can not be offloaded (e.g. bridge firewall) and in those cases indeed CPU does the processing (and test results under Bridging apply).

Low-end devices, featuring basic switch chips with less functionality, can get into "CPU bridge processing" pretty quickly though ... but those devices typically don't run SwOS (not even SwOS lite).

Chavell3
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS312 performance measurements from website

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks @mkx.
hopefully I will not configure it wrongly... ROS is way more complex than SwOS...

BR