Community discussions

MikroTik App

tommydog
just joined
Topic Author

Switch menu only lists 1 port?

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:33 am

I have a Mikrotik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 connected to a 5 port Tp link switch (TL-SF1005P ) . The problem is the switch tab of RouterOS lists only ether1 for ports. The TP link switch has 5 ethernet ports, so I was expecting to see ether1 to ether5. I want to reduce bandwidth on a physical ethernet port (ethernet port3 on the switch), but because ether3 is not listed (only ether1) I am unable to specify this in the Queues.

How do I achieve what I want to achieve? Any help would be much appreciated

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Switch menu only lists 1 port?

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:47 am

You will need a "managed" switch that has its own interface to configure its ports.

An example is the Mikrotik RB260GS…

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GS

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:24 am

The switch is completely separate vendor and device to the mikrotik and there's no reason the mikrotik would be able to manage the switchports.

The switch menu in your mikrotik refers to the 'switch chip' the one ethernet port is using to talk to the CPU etc.

You would not be able to achieve what you want by determining physical switchport - but you could manage queuing in different ways by IP address and PCQ, and/or using mac-address reservation to target devices.

tommydog
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:00 am

You will need a "managed" switch that has its own interface to configure its ports.

An example is the Mikrotik RB260GS…

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GS

Are there any other managed switches with greater POE capabilities that would work to achieve what I want? I like the TP link switch as it supports up to 30 W on each PoE port and 67 W for all PoE ports. Yes I could use power injectors, but I like the neatness of such a system.

tommydog
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:05 am

You would not be able to achieve what you want by determining physical switchport - but you could manage queuing in different ways by IP address and PCQ

Do you know how I would do this for an IP range? I am struggling to find a simple example to follow for this. Say if I wanted a maximum total bandwidth of 10mbps to be equally distribution between an ip range of 192.168.2.2 – 192.168.2.14.