Community discussions

MikroTik App

faxxe
Topic Author

License question

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:34 am

Hello
I recently started using ROS v7.2.1 in a virtual machine on my Synology. Works very well and I bought a license.
Now my question: if I now change the hardware of the virtual machine will I lose my license?
What does the installation ID refer to? To the MAC of the network cards?
Are the number of CPUs or memory allocated also taken into account for the license?

I want to avoid that I lose the license after a change.
Thanks
faxxe

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: License question

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:57 pm

If you bought Px license for CHR, as you should, you don't need to worry. I'm not sure what it depends on, but even if the ID changes, license is tranferable. If you'd have regular x86 license, that's tied to disk (I'm not sure I remember correctly, I think it's model, serial number and some random data from beginning of disk) and can't be transferred.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: License question

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:13 pm

With regular ROS (non CHR) it's more complicated, especially when running in VM. License is locked to things like drive manufacturer, name, serial number, etc.
If it was regular hardware drive, then these values would be inherently static and unchangeable. But with VM, every VM software may set these differently. Even if the actual image file for the disk remains the same, any change to these values will invalidate your license (machine ID will change).
I'm not familiar with Synology VM, so don't know which VM hypervisor/sw they use, but in general if you run the same on a different machine there is good chance the license will stay valid.
But if you move say from VirtualBox to VMware, there is pretty much zero chance that disks will be named same and license will not be valid.
At least with VM you can easily experiment and see what works...
...and if you have installed the CHR version instead of native ROS than none of this really matters :)