Community discussions

MikroTik App

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Router unstable with fasttrack on

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Hello,

I've been using a RB750GL for a long time and been very happy with it.
A month ago I've switched ISP to a faster one.
I noticed the CPU become a bottleneck and turned on fasttrack.
At the same time I've also upgraded from 6.45.9 to the then latest version 6.47.1

Since that the router randomly becomes unresponsive: port lights are keep flashing but I can not connect by any means not even ping it.
Plugging in/out any or all UTP cables makes no different, I need to power cycle it.
Then it will keep working perfectly and fast anywhere from a minute to a week, average uptime 4 days.
Before this change it would run for years.
At first I assumed the faster connection induced heavier load and replaced the power adapter, but now I'm over the third adapter and the issues persists.
In retrospect it was a silly assumption as fasttrack lowered the load by large.

Naturally there were a number of other changes at the time of the ISP changing, fasttrack is only my best bet being the change that have never been on this router done before.
Today browsing these forums I noted there were issues with fasstrack earlier, so I updated to the current LTS release 6.48.5.
However there's nothing in the release notes about fasstrack.
I've considered switching to the latest stable but did not as I've seen no fasstrack bug fixed there either.

ATM I am unsure I'm still sitting on a time bomb, so advice is welcome.

Cheers, Ákos

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Router unstable with fasttrack on

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:39 am

Router halted on LTS/6.48.5 too, switched to stable/6.49.1.

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Mikrotik has not tested new versions of ROS on old hardware for a long time.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Really... I dont understand why people like you have right to speak...

You didnt post any relevant information to describe in detail your scenario.
you are making statements with no evidence.

No one knows if you applied the conf correctly or not.
no info, but you are still making statements (negative, obviously).

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:11 pm

Did you also upgraded the firmware of the router?

Previous versions op ROS can be found here: https://mikrotik.com/download/archive in case you want to downgrade. I think you need the mipsbe type.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:01 am

For the record router on stable/6.49.1 is now up and running for 10 days. Looking good!
@msatter yes, fw is on 6.49.1 too.
Might or might not be related but 6 days ago I've removed all mangle rules as the next step of phasing out the old internet link. They were used to mark conection and routing for connections still coming in on the old link. Also the exclusion of the corresponding interface from the fasstrack rule and the routing mark from the 0.0.0.0 route has been removed.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:19 pm

For the record it halted the other day, reaching the uptime of 40 days. Not bad nor good.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:42 pm

yet another power cycle day
I have a 0km backup router sitting on the shelf and now preparing to swich them to check if I can reproduce the issue.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:58 pm

4 days passed and the brand new 750GL halted to death.
I assume it's not a one-off hw defect, but a software one, and also assume it's related to fasstrack.
Does anyone know if the manufacturer offers support for this product?
I would be happy to help with logs and running debug builds to locate and fix this error.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 pm

I don't think it should crash, and in my experience this rarely ever happens with MikroTik routers, but on the other hand this is a low-end device and when you tell us that "you got a faster ISP" it may be the time to upgrade to a faster router.
(depending on what that means. e.g. when it is 20Mbit/s instead of 10Mbit/s no problem, but for 100Mbit/s and faster these routers really are too slow)

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:01 am

For our use case switching to a recent, more perfomrant model would only help when concurrent use is high and the device cpu becomes a bottleneck. Looking at the CPU usage graph it's very rare, so this device would be great for us for a long time. (5min average cpu is under 15%, memory is at 30%, disk has plenty of space.)

As all tests point towards the issue being software related, I don't feel confident if a more performant hw - running the same problematic sw - would really solve the issue.
Being a sw dev myself, I think here we got a configuration reproducing an issue - I see this as an opportunity to catch this bug. Perhaps it pops up on other hw too, just much less frequently.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 pm

Talked to support, upgraded to rOS 7.1.2 then 7.1.3, still halting.
For the record, watchdog did not help as it could not generate an autosupout when halted, supouts saved just after powercycling did not help them.
However later I noticed a strange bandwidth asymmetry of traffic, traffic from the server were at half-ish speed. Duplex setting were OK. Then I realized only TCP is affected, but TCP settings were identical on both sides.
Wireshark showed the difference is in ethernet frames, 7KBytes to server, 60KBytes from server. There were 8 ACK to every huge frame sent.
I've switched off TSO on the server NIC with ethtool a week ago, has not seen a halt since.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:56 pm

To my great dismay after 30 days to router halted again. Than again in a week. Then again in a day. Halts are even more random now.
Looks like setting TSO off on the connecting device does not solve the issue but made it less reproducible.

Today I'm upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.1, but it's unlikely the problem will magically go away.

I could not live with the unstability any more, and it looks like Mikrotik does not really care that much about this reproducible halt issue that requires manual intervention.
At least their support is responding on email.

Anyway, I'm getting a Hex now, hoping it being recent got better testing with the latest RouterOS, and if not, maybe the issue gets more attention.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Can you provide a config export with private stuff edited?

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:52 am

Sure thing Znevna. Please find it attached.
I see remains of old stuff we used, so let me provide what we actually use the router for:
* One active internet line, one backup internet line with automatic failover, two bridged ports for lan and server, one for wifi.
* Wifi and lan are on different subnets.
* Some incoming firewall rules and natting wireguard (wg runs on the server, not on the router)
* ntp, dns
* ipv4 only
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnson73
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:03 pm

I recommend that you use the @Anav firewall configuration method. viewtopic.php?t=180838
Your firewall configuration is not really correct. And - fasttrack never puts a firewall in the beginning! The sequence of firewall rules greatly affects the overall performance of the router.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:13 pm

@johnson73 Thanks for pointing that out, the thread looks like a great resource.

diviaki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:28 pm

I replaced it with a hEX which did not halt in the past 132 days.