Community discussions

MikroTik App

moron
just joined
Topic Author

Vpn in Lan

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:32 am

HI,

I have two routers, one is connected to the internet and creates a Lan network. And the second is connected to the former and forms its own subnet within the lane. On the first, vpn access is configured. Can I generate the appropriate certificates and create a vpn (openvpn) server on the second router so that computers from the first subnet can connect to his network? Of course, I only wanted to put up an openvpn server as a test and whether these generated certificates would somehow conflict with those on the main router

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Vpn in Lan

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:34 pm

I don't see why not, there's nothing special about being in LAN, it's router like any other, so it can be VPN server too. There are easier ways how to access the other subnet, but as a test it's fine.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:31 am

To continue on with Sob's post what is the idea behind this? what is the end goal of this set up as in what behaviour you would like disregarding any settings? Explaining what you would like to achieve might give other members and myself other ideas on how to suggest this set up?

admiralmcstabby
just joined

Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:25 am

We really need to know the problem doing this would solve to better help you as this seems overly complicated, potentially create unnecessary overhead and add to troubleshooting efforts. Not to mention something that I don't think is common practice as essentially this is internal to internal traffic.

Is it because you feel this will help simply access the "inner" network? If so, NAT rules can help solve that without building out a VPN schema. I feel like this would be the only "problem" one would try to solve because they are unfamiliar with NAT. In fact, NAT may not even be necessary if the subnets don't overlap, just static routes from the "outer" router inward and vice versa.

I hope you reply, hopefully we can help you find an easier solution to your problem (if this is the case of course).