Community discussions

MikroTik App

krishj
just joined
Topic Author

Low power setup advice

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:31 am

Hi,

I'm new to Mikrotik and looking for some product advice for a rural mountain cabin with solar power, 24V voltage (up to 31 volts under charging).
I have a working setup with other brands, including a PoE webcam, but existing AP is no longer supported etc., so looking to upgrade.
There is 2 buildings approx. 35 meters apart, I already have 2 network cables between the buildings and a LTE antenna as shown in picture.

Wishes:
- As low power as possible, preferred powered directly from 24V battery (24-31volts)
- No requirement for speed, as LTE connection is limited and there is very limited network traffic of course. No requirement for 5 GHz
- Best possible outdoor coverage (with access points placed indoors) as the area is quite large and there is poor cellular coverage
- 100 Mbit wired connection is sufficient if this saves power
- Ability to remotely connect via VPN, wireguard or similar
- Ability to create a VPN, wireguard bridge connection to home network
- Same SSID for both buildings
- Manage setup without computer (iPhone/iPad) as I don't want to have to carry a computer just to manage this. Remote management preferred.

Use cases:
- When present, Wifi is on and webcam is off
- When not present, power to router can be turned on via SMS (relay for this already in place), Wifi should/could be turned off to save power. Should then be able to access webcam and monitoring systems

Currently above is handled via a 3-way switch that powers either Webcam or AP through passive PoE injectors, this solution could be kept.

So to summarize, I'm looking for advice on:
- Building 1 with antenna: LTE router + AP or combined unit. Minimum 3-4 network ports
- Building 2: PoE powered AP. Extra network ports not required, but could be nice to have for future expansion if not impacting power consumption too much.

And best possible wifi coverage for lowest possible power consumption :)
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.