Community discussions

MikroTik App

awes1
just joined
Topic Author

Small network with CHR's on Virtualbox

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:29 pm

Hi,

Im creating small environment in oracle virtualbox, which contains one router with two switches connected.
Whole setup is basic and started from scratch and have no more options than default:

R1 - created new bridge, added ports ether2 & ether3. Bridge1 adressed with 192.168.88.1/24. Ether1 is bridged with physical card, (basically to get access into R1 RouterOS from winbox).
SW1 - created new bridge, added ports ether2 & ether3. Bridge1 adressed with 192.168.88.2/24. Connected by ether2 with R1_ether2 with virtualbox internal network 1.
SW2 - created new bridge, added ports ether2 & ether3. Bridge1 adressed with 192.168.88.3/24. Connected by ether2 with R1_ether3 with virtualbox internal network 2.

Got some problem with ping between devices in this setup. It works only, when SW1_ether2 and SW2_ether2 are removed from bridge, ip address are set on ether2 (both switches), and only, when both ports are connected to the same virtualbox internal network (1 or 2) at the same time.

Each VMs with CHR is created from scratch with unique NICs mac addresses.

Perhaps there is something i didn' get yet, please help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gemesif
just joined

Re: Small network with CHR's on Virtualbox

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:07 pm

Hi,

My have same issue.
Someone has an idea?
'awes1', you found a solution? Other virtualization for example VMware Workstation?

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:45 am

If you are doing this setup for learning, I highly recommend setting up EVE-NG in your virtualbox and seeing it up there.

gemesif
just joined

Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 pm

Hi,

'Promiscuous Mode: Allow All' is the key of solution.
Set 'Promiscuous Mode: Allow All' in VirtualBox, on the appropriate machine and adapters. After this, operation will be as expected.
VirtualBox:
Select machine, Settings, Adapter(on all bridged adapter), Advanced, Promiscuous Mode: Allow All

Picture, for example, in my case:
Screenshot 2022-05-24 122412.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 10:44 am

If you are doing this setup for learning, I highly recommend setting up EVE-NG in your virtualbox and seeing it up there.

Just be aware that EVE-NG is tailored specifically for WMware ESXi thus it requires certain tweaking to run properly on Virtualbox or HyperV. That means some features might be limited in these environments.