Community discussions

MikroTik App

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Unstable MAC Winbox connection

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 pm

Hello to whole MikroTik community,
Can somebody resolve issue with unstable MAC Winbox connection.
Here is the case:
- first time run device
- remove default configuration
- reboot - no default configuration
- access to device using mac winbox (because no ip address on it after restart)
This is preferable steps which i use most of the time when i configure device from scratch.
PROBLEM: Winbox connects to device using MAC address but connection breaks after couple of seconds, at this short time i cannot do anything. Winbox was running on Windows laptop with 1gbps LAN integrated on MOBO.
Do you folks have same problem? How do you resolve this issue?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unstable MAC Winbox connection

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:29 am

Try setting your computer IP address to 192.168.88.2 and attach to ether 2, if that doesnt work hit the reset button on the router and try it.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:09 am

PROBLEM: Winbox connects to device using MAC address but connection breaks after couple of seconds, at this short time i cannot do anything. Winbox was running on Windows laptop with 1gbps LAN integrated on MOBO.
Hello,

I have seen this happen before when a switch was being used in between the computer running MAC Winbox and the router. It did not happen when the switch was bypassed. I believe it was likely caused by the router creating oversized MAC winbox packets that are not clearing an MTU limit on the switch. It could be a similar problem in your case. You can verify this by attempting to do a packet capture from the router and one from the computer itself when you mac winbox in and see if there are mac winbox packets sent by the router that do not make it to your computer.

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Try setting your computer IP address to 192.168.88.2 and attach to ether 2, if that doesnt work hit the reset button on the router and try it.
There is no IP address when you remove default configuration.
isn't solution to reset using reset button. this operation will bringing me back to begining.

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:53 pm

Hello,

I have seen this happen before when a switch was being used in between the computer running MAC Winbox and the router. It did not happen when the switch was bypassed. I believe it was likely caused by the router creating oversized MAC winbox packets that are not clearing an MTU limit on the switch. It could be a similar problem in your case. You can verify this by attempting to do a packet capture from the router and one from the computer itself when you mac winbox in and see if there are mac winbox packets sent by the router that do not make it to your computer.
That connection was so short that i cannot do anything. Maybe i can capture some packet at that short period of time but what i should do with it. Ok, if you are right and i can confirm that oversized MAC winbox packets was the problem how to resolve the issue?
Note that my connection is directly to router with strait patch cord, no device between router and laptop. Also, same issue exist on all ports of the router.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:05 pm

Do you also have wireless enabled on the laptop ?

Try switching it off.

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Do you also have wireless enabled on the laptop ?

Try switching it off.
Yes and No.
Both cases tested and same problem occur.
I do disabling for all network interfaces not only the wireless. That also not resolve problem.

I try another laptop with linux distro, Ubuntu, and winbox using wine and i have no issues. Both laptop have 1gbps integrated NIC with Realtek chip (versions are not the same).
I conclude that problem relaying on the operating system. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 cause problems ?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:52 am

Ok, if you are right and i can confirm that oversized MAC winbox packets was the problem how to resolve the issue?
You might be able to increase the L2 MTU that your PC is allowed to receive by enabling Jumbo Frames or some other option in the network card settings, or by upgrading the driver to a newer one that can accept higher frame sizes without dropping them.

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm

My modus operandi is to use MAC Winbox to get in, assign the router an IP address as quickly as possible, and then reconnect via IP address.
Yes. I also use this procedure as well but when MAC Winbox have stable connection enough long to set ip address.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:40 pm

On windows machine disable ALL network interface (also bluetoot) and leave active only one you want use winbox with MAC.

Windows 10 after modify the network socket supports only one 1 device use the MAC at time (with any programs)
Windows 7, for example, do not have this problem

mladenciric
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:18 pm

On windows machine disable ALL network interface (also bluetoot) and leave active only one you want use winbox with MAC.

Windows 10 after modify the network socket supports only one 1 device use the MAC at time (with any programs)
Windows 7, for example, do not have this problem
Thanks for suggestion. But i try that also same problem.

arnoldmikro

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:52 am

I have the same problem on my win 10 pc . I think it may be my antivirus . I just use another pc to config

jvargas
just joined

Sun May 01, 2022 5:19 am

Hello,

The same thing happened to me as to you, in my case my version of windows 10 is 21H2, so to solve the problem I have done the following:
1- Access the physical network interface of my PC.
2- Place a network address (your choice).
3- Refresh the winbox again to access the Mikrotik via Mac.
4- Done.

I hope it works for you, as well as for someone else who has this inconvenience.

Regards.

abra
just joined

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 pm

The same thing to me , windows 10 - 21H2.
My successful solution - winbox - Run As Administrator.

prozakas
just joined

Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:23 pm

i confirm, changing to a custom MAC address on PC's Network card solves that damn issue.