Community discussions

MikroTik App

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

State of VXLAN on ROS7

Sun May 01, 2022 6:06 pm

We use RB5009 and RB4011 as site routers for small branch offices with good success, while we are mostly a Cisco and Juniper shop for HQ and larger sites.
Now we started to investigate VXLAN for near-future use, most of our Juniper/Cisco boxes can do VXLAN in HW at full wire speed.

I would love to make some test setups in our lab, but we had to install all our lab RB4011 and RB5009 devices in the field. This because we are not able to buy any 4011 or 5009 since months (and MT keeps to push shipment dates every 4 weeks for another 4 weeks, but that's a topic for a seperate thread).

So I hope to get some informations from others already being able to test VXLAN on ROS7:
  • How mature is VXLAN on ROS7? Is it ready for production? Including multicast groups for VXLAN broadcast/unknown unicast?
  • As far as I can see there is no HW support for VXLAN on MT devices so far. What is the expected throughput for VXLAN on RB5009/4011? What is the impact on CPU load?
  • MT is mostly silent about VXLAN support and future plans. Is VXLAN taken seroius by MT? Can we expect some progress in this area, includig future HW accel? Or is MT the wrong brand and price range for prime-time VXLAN?
Thanks in advance for any insights.