Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ant22
just joined
Topic Author

VPN address change in quick setup

Sun May 01, 2022 5:56 pm

I did not find any topic regarding to VPN address change.
Seems that somebody use my VPN address because I can PING VPN address from outside (from quick setup -> Home AP -> VPN address) even when my router is switched off.
Is there some possibility to change default VPN address, or better to say, request for new one? Because this feature is confortable for use to setup some basic VPN connection, that I do not need to use some other DNS providers.

Or is there some other option to avoid this problem?

Thank you

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN address change in quick setup

Sun May 01, 2022 6:37 pm

The VPN address is the address you get from your internet provider. It may be variable or static depending on your provider.
You likely have a router from your provider and have connected your MikroTik router to that? it is the provider router answering ping.

Ant22
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2022 6:47 pm

Yes, I have router from provider before Mikrotik router. Mikrotik router I want to use like VPN server. I do not have static address from internet provider. Because of that I need VPN address which is in the "name" format. So I suppose Mikrotik has some server which connect name with my real ip address.
But seems like somebody use my name.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Check ip cloud.
If that's enabled, there is your answer.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 01, 2022 7:22 pm

The name just resolves to numeric IP address. If this address is on provider's router, then that's what you're pinging, unless you forward all traffic from there to your router.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 01, 2022 7:26 pm

But seems like somebody use my name.
Yes, that somebody is you.
Your MikroTik router sets the name you see in the router to resolve to your external IP address (changing that when your address changes).
When you ping that name the ping packet arrives at your provider's router and it answers.
Not a problem, and probably nothing you can change either.

Ant22
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2022 8:55 pm

Yes...I forget that my provider IP did not changed. But still open question...if happen something like that you can not change your DNS name , even in IP cloud is disabled. You can just see your name.

Thanks for your help

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 pm

The name in IP Cloud is the default name Mikrotik provides with their Dynamic DNS service.
Free of charge.
If you don't want to use it, you can always use Duck Duck Go or any other dynamic DNS provider.