Community discussions

MikroTik App

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Sudden drop in signal on LHG LTE 6 Kit

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:05 am

I have been using the RBLHGR&R11E-LTE6 for over a year now and it has been great. On setting up the dish on 3UK I had plenty of choice of cells and was able to achieve both Excellent Signal Strength and Quality. As a result I have always had a steady 35mbps download and 9mbps upload.

Two weeks ago I noticed my internet was unusable and a reboot did nothing. Logging in to my app I could see that the signal had dropped to Good signal and Quality and would sometimes switch cells. I came to the assumption that the dish had moved so go the ladders out. I had marked the pole and dish during installation and found they were in the exact same place.

I attempted to adjust the dish to improve the signal but cannot get an RSRP better than -86db despite consistently having an RSRP of around -50db before. This is true of all cells I check.

What could be the cause of the sudden drop in signal? Is it likely to be a hardware issue of software issue?

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Sudden drop in signal on LHG LTE 6 Kit

Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:37 am

What could be the cause of the sudden drop in signal? Is it likely to be a hardware issue of software issue?
Check your antenna cable paths and reseat the connections to eliminate that as a possibility. I hope it's not hardware.
(Although, the default for LHG R kits has them connected securely with a drop of clear glue on each port, is it possible that weather has rattled it?)
What's your ROS version and LTE6 card's firmware version? In some cases, towers adjust their coverage majorly so this may be par for the course.
I've used the 3 network for 4G failover at customer sites so I'm familiar with them sometimes changing things up.
One of the most common gripes I have is their towers preference of B20 over B3 so in most cases I force B3 to get 15MHz instead of
B20(5MHz)+B3(15MHz) CA2 and slow response times until traffic ramps up.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:33 pm

RSRP better than -86db
RSRP of -86db does not indicate on any way loss of connection...
You should take into account the RSRQ SINR and RSSI values too...
Also you don't mention what the ROS version is and what the modem firmware version is... ???

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:22 pm

You should take into account the ... RSSI values too...
RSSI value is completely useless ... the same way as voltage measured over wire pairs on UTP when assessing ethernet throughput. RSRP at least gives information about level of usable signal while RSSI includes also noise, interference and channel load (traffic for other clients of same cell). However considerable drop in this value would indicate something's wrong with attached antennae and/or Rx part of LTE modem.

You're right about importance of RSRQ and SINR though, the later actually defines possible higher layers throughput and the former being quantity which is relatively simple to measure ... it's being used indirectly between eNodeB and terminal to adjust radio link parameters. Since SINR can't be directly measured, it's calculated from other quantities. Formula is not exactly trivial, so many terminals (LTE modems) don't bother displaying it.

This is a pretty good article about LTE radio metrics for those who would like to know a bit more.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:54 pm

@mkx how can it be useless since it is used in the calculation of the RSRQ value ?
I think all the values ( RSRP, RSRQ, SINR and RSSI ) have their importance...

Is there any value you take into account the most ?

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:05 pm

RSRQ mostly, because that's indicative of whether or not packet delivery will be reliable.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:24 pm

@mkx how can it be useless since it is used in the calculation of the RSRQ value ?
I think all the values ( RSRP, RSRQ, SINR and RSSI ) have their importance...

RSSI is useless if used stand-alone. If it's used in context of the rest of numbers, then it's not relevant. As you wrote, its only relevance is in calculation of more meaningful numbers.

If you're looking at those 4 numbers, look at RSRP and RSRQ ... both are meaningful already when modem is idle and are usable to optimize radio interface, e.g. when turning antennae. When RSRP is good (e.g. above -80dBm), RSRQ will give good assessment of maximum possible throughput (as a part of maximum cell throughput) ... RSRQ better than around -3dB is excellent, RSRQ belliw -8dB is mediocre and anything below -12dB is bad. If RSCP is below -80dBm but higher than -110dBm (my own estimate of "loss of signal"), RSRQ needs to be a bit higher than numbers mentioned previously to get similar service. In theory SINR is the ultimate quantity defining possible throughput. The problem is that SINR calculation is complex and not standardized so every vendor does it slightly differently. Which means it's fine if one compares value shown by same device model, but can't be compared between different vendors.

Hominidae

Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:23 pm

As a side note, there is another part of the infrastructure that could be accountable for your problems.
Check if the provider tower is out of order or simply if it still does exists.
I had the same situation, where the provider simply decided to decommission the band/antenna for my area.
This might be of help: https://www.cellmapper.net/

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 pm

This might be of help: https://www.cellmapper.net/

While cellmapper is a great resource, it won't be possible to reliably check without becoming a data source yourself and walking nearby the tower to gather data. It's crowdsourced. You're at the mercy of anyone passing through with a device in collection mode that is also actively uploading to the project. If all else fails, you can always pop the SIM in a phone, take a walk down to the tower and use Network Cell Info Lite (the free version) on Android to see what bands are available, though unless you know how to manipulate your device's bands, you're at the mercy of the OEM/tower preferences and unlikely to be able to force yourself onto a band like you can with the granular control afforded in ROS.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:43 am

3 uk are doing a lot of mast upgrades, adding 4g bands 28 and 32, plus 5g n78

https://pedroc.co.uk/content/uk-commerc ... e-spectrum

The r11e-lte6 doesn't support any of the new frequencies mentioned above.

Three have started using 4g band 32 for carrier aggregation, as they have 20mhz of it.

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:56 am

3 uk are doing a lot of mast upgrades, adding 4g bands 28 and 32, plus 5g n78
Yeah they got the largest chunk of the 5G spectrum so it's nice to see them moving quickly to roll it out.
They're making themselves a very cost-viable option for most price discerning consumers.
I hope their board doesn't think this is the time to increase costs exponentially.
£21 per month (fixed term contract usually with 3 or 6 months reduced price for 12/24 months) is hard to beat but the MVNO's offer unlimited for £20 a month with no contract. Although, if you have poor coverage with Three, you can always use the Asda Mobile which is an MVNO of the Vodafone network but unlimited data with no speed cap is £30.

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:25 am

Sorry for the late reply. I have been on holiday.

Ok so to answer a few questions from above:
ROS is 6.42.1
All antenna connections are in place.
The cell I usually use is active. I can connect to it. The signal is much lower. I confirmed band 3 still works by going to the site and using my phone.
RSRQ is consistently around -14 no matter which cell I connect to.
I have the router set to only connect to band 3.

I live on a hill and can see multiple masts from my location. When I set up the dish I could choose from multiple cells in all directions and I got excellent signal quality and signal strength. I tested them and opted for the one with the best and most consistent speed. Now I cannot get an RSRP better than -85ish and an RSRQ better than -14ish.

I have tested a different power connector, different SIM, different cables. Nothing changes.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the issue is hardware related and I'm unfortunately out of warranty.

Any suggestions on what I could try myself? Anywhere in the UK I can buy spare parts or send for repair? Would replacing the modem be a good place to start?

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:46 am

I would recommend upgrading to 7.2.1 stable as soon as possible.

There's a huge number of LTE fixes and fixes for the lte6 in v7.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:28 am

Indeed ros v7 has many fixes on the LTE. I recommend it too...

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:50 am

3th ...

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:13 pm

6.42.1 is full of vulnerability, at least if you do not want use 7.x go to 6.48.6 long-term
upgrade also modem firwmare is a good idea....

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've updated the modem firmware and the ROS to 7.2.1 - getting exactly the same results.

I've ordered a Quectel ec25-e to see if the issue is with the modem. It arrives tomorrow.

I believe this modem is compatible. Does anyone know if it's plug and play?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:47 pm

It seems it is... and in V7 you can use the APN profile as well https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals
But you will go from an LTE cat 6 modem to an LTE cat 4 ?

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've updated the modem firmware and the ROS to 7.2.1 - getting exactly the same results.

I've ordered a Quectel ec25-e to see if the issue is with the modem. It arrives tomorrow.

I believe this modem is compatible. Does anyone know if it's plug and play?
Mine is plug and play on V7, it's an interesting comparison to my r11e-lte, r11e-lte6 and em12g

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:09 pm

It seems it is... and in V7 you can use the APN profile as well https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals
But you will go from an LTE cat 6 modem to an LTE cat 4 ?
Going from cat 6 to cat 4 is a bit of a pain but I could get the cat 4 modem from Amazon with one day prime delivery.

Just hope that it's the modem that's causing all the problems!

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:00 pm

Has the Quectel EC25 arrived?

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:37 pm

Has the Quectel EC25 arrived?
Yes, arrived late morning and got it fitted and connected to Band 3 only. Sadly no discernible difference grrr! Pretty much exactly the same signal as before.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Is the mast you connect to listed on cellmapper.net?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Point to another mast.
Even when it's a bit further, signal might be better.

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:59 pm

So, in the last couple of days I've tried a Vodafone SIM. I can see the mast about 2 miles from my house. Pointed the dish directly towards it. No matter how much tweaking I do I cannot get speeds better than I can get with my mobile phone standing right beside the mikrotik.

Today I did a teardown of the lhg. Was pretty surprised to find a little rust on the routerboard antenna and some rust staining in the housing. Clearly isn't waterproof!

I can't see any noticeable damage to the board but would query water damage now.

I have dug out an old Huawei router and a mimo antenna I have. Going to give it a go later to see if signal is any better.

lambie413
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:03 pm

Here are some photos of what I found...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... m7i1zJ3HIy

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:13 pm

Here are some photos of what I found...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... m7i1zJ3HIy

That looks like condensation forming on the RF element which has led to rust (judging from the imprint pattern). Moisture ingress is an unfortunate hazard for outdoor units and I'd consider sealing them with a light application of silicone filler just for good measure. If you live in a really humid place then you're in a battle with the weather. However, I'm not so sure that you'd see such a dramatic loss of signal as a result. My estimations are that the tower has adjusted its power levels and you're worse off for it. For equipment with N connectors, I'd opt for an application of silicone grease on the contact portion to avoid a scenario where rust prevents you from easily loosening the antenna. Also helps protect the connection from moisture.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 02, 2022 12:04 pm

One unit was mounted with upside down, means ether cable was UP :). Unit still works and have similar signals like new one. We still use it in our test. Customer have new one.
Unit was full with water after storm in USA.
I think rust not kill signals like we think.

Before and after cleaning. Still works :D
photo5114101139867019867.jpg
photo5114101139867019866.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 02, 2022 1:23 pm

So, in the last couple of days I've tried a Vodafone SIM. I can see the mast about 2 miles from my house. Pointed the dish directly towards it. No matter how much tweaking I do I cannot get speeds better than I can get with my mobile phone standing right beside the mikrotik.

Today I did a teardown of the lhg. Was pretty surprised to find a little rust on the routerboard antenna and some rust staining in the housing. Clearly isn't waterproof!

I can't see any noticeable damage to the board but would query water damage now.

I have dug out an old Huawei router and a mimo antenna I have. Going to give it a go later to see if signal is any better.
Are Vodafone and 3 UK the best options in your area?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 02, 2022 5:57 pm

Due to change to a new MNO for a specific area, we are changing SIM cards on a whole bunch of LHG's. However, so far we haven't been able to swap a single card without disassembling the device because the card holder is not correctly aligned with the card slot. I sincerely hope that Mikrotik will fix this issue in future models as well implementing eSIM. I wouldn't mind a dual-SIM solution ie eSIM and a regular sim card.

We haven't located any rust inside the units (so far) but mostly spider webs and nests on the PCB/antenna from insects that managed to nestled through the hole where the network cable enters. This was fixed by using silicone sealing. It ought to exist a rubber seal as standard to prevent this.

On the outside, most of the antennas seemed to be intact but were dirty due to bird droppings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.